The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Power To The People

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Power To The People

Post by aljude »

I recently updated my lagging PC to:

Gigabyte S-Series Motherboard
Athlon 64 x2 6000+
PCI-E GeForce 9600GT
4Gb RAM

I still had the odd problems with stuttering, but found it was the graphics card that was sucking all the power from the rest of the machine.
When I updated the power unit from 350W to 500W the machine came alive. No stuttering now, even if I run FS9 with virus checker and defrag in the background.

O.k. It cost a few bob, [pounds sterling], and it does dim the lights a bit when i boot up but in the long run it's the dog's nadgers.
With today's graphics and the cards to go with them it's always worth spending a bit more and getting more power. I never thought the 350w power unit would fail to supply, still you live and learn.

If you don't have a quick PC try logging off and back on as a different user, then you can stop all the services you don't need as well as the network connection and virus checker. This speeds up the system quite a lot.

Tony
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Power To The People

Post by sprocky »

aljude wrote:I recently updated my lagging PC to:

Gigabyte S-Series Motherboard
Athlon 64 x2 6000+
PCI-E GeForce 9600GT
4Gb RAM
Nice package - compared to mine :cry:
(Laptop, 1.6GHz Intel 945 chipset, 1.24GB RAM, 60GB HDD; flying in Heathrow area the fan is running like a race car engine on a straight track while the AI slows the FPS rate to seconds per frame)
aljude wrote:...and it does dim the lights a bit when i boot up...
But your room will be warmed up in minutes :lol:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

I had that problem with my laptop cooking it self. Went to PC World spent £20 on a heat sink for a 17" Laptop powers 3 mighty fans off USB. Well worth the money keeps it alot cooler runs alot better.

Mark
Mark
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

If you don't have a quick PC try logging off and back on as a different user, then you can stop all the services you don't need as well as the network connection and virus checker. This speeds up the system quite a lot.
I gave this a try and the computer itself definitely runs much faster. However I saw no improvements in my FPS in FS9, in fact they were actually lower. To me that indicates that my lower FPS are a result of the graphics card and RAM combination and not necessarily CPU speed or memory at this point. But that's good information to know.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I'm just not sure the graphics card has much to do with it. I noticed a huge improvement in fps when I upgraded CPUs and no improvement when I went to a higher-end video card.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."