The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Graphics Card Fan Failure ??

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Graphics Card Fan Failure ??

Post by MIKE JG »

Here's a couple of before and after screen captures from a little utility that monitors my graphics card:
Attachments
after.jpg
after.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 428 times
before.jpg
before.jpg (84.67 KiB) Viewed 428 times
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Note in the after shot, that my fan speed is registering at 0!!

I have been getting these wavey lines in my graphics when the card is put under maximum stress. If I move the view away, say towards the clear blue sky, the wavey lines go away.

Before I open up the case and start fiddling with things, anyone else suspect that indeed my graphics card cooling fan has failed?

I can btw still hear the CPU cooling fan running so I know it is still working.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by Ford Friendly »

MIKE JG wrote:Before I open up the case and start fiddling with things, anyone else suspect that indeed my graphics card cooling fan has failed?
Definitely looks suspect to me. You don't screw anything up by just looking at it, so open the **** case! :lol: That's really the only way to confirm the fan isn't working.
Why waste 'trons for a snappy signature when I can use this?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I know, I know, it just such a pain in the arse to unplug everything etc. :roll:
-Mike G.

Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Ah. I guess I assumed (bad thing to do) that your case was as easy open as mine.

2 zuse screws and a side cover comes off.

I can access anything inside within 15 seconds on a slow day.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

That would be nice......

It's easy to get open, it's getting out to a position to get it open that takes a bit of time. It's all stowed away and the cords are all neatly zip tied, etc. :roll:
Last edited by MIKE JG on 15 Jan 2009, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike G.

BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

If you rebuild, get a clear side. You can just take a peek!
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Now there's a good idea. Will have to put that down on the list of must haves for the new machine.
-Mike G.

Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Yeah, clear sides are great.

With a previous case I had, I bought a sheet of clear plexiglass and managed to mount that as a side panel. Not as "perfect" as what I have now cosmetically or for airflow, but it only cost me about $5 and the time it took to cut and mount.

If I did it over again, I'd cut a hole in the center like my current case has and mount a fan. Best of both worlds - airflow and cosmetically cool!
Dark Morelia
Captain
Captain

Post by Dark Morelia »

Could just be that it's not getting the fan RPM signal for some reason? Obviously it's best to check for yourself though.
An easy way to check would be to see if the GPU core temp is higher than normal, but I dont see the temp on there anywhere (unless I'm going blind?).
We just had an absolute scorcher here today, gotta love the Aussie summer! the thermometer outside read 46°C (114.8°F according to my phone's conversion) and inside was 32°C(89.6). My GPU runs fairly warm, and when it got to 73°C even with the case side off and a pedestal fan blowing full-bore on it and me, I decided it was time for a break, lol.
My case side isn't screwed on any more... I'm always fiddling with something or other in there, or need more airflow on hot days.
Drew >>

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

LOL..........I'll trade you Drew, it was -18*C here this morning! It's going to be even colder tonight! Some places in North Dakota got to -42/-43* C or F last night!! The C or F doesn't matter at that cold, LOL, -40*C is the same as -40*F!!

As usual, my dogs are looking at me and want to go for their daily walk. :shock:

BTW, what part of Aussie land are you in?
-Mike G.

Dark Morelia
Captain
Captain

Post by Dark Morelia »

OMG! no thanks!
My temp tolerance goes like this...
>40= f%*$ing scorcher
35 = bloody hot
30 = bit hot
25 = warm
20 = nice
15 = cool
10 = nippy
5 = freezing
<0 = f%*$ing freezing
<-5 = insane

I'm in the Blue Mountains... Springwood to be specific (oh noes! you can now all track me down and... umm... dunno, come in for a drink? lol)
I do think snow has potential for much fun though :D... I've only ever been to real snow once... it never snows in my area, and only piffling amounts fall around the highest parts of the mountains, in the depths of winter.

Well, this thread is now well and truly derailed :lol:
Drew >>

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

It is indeed. We have more than a foot of snow on the ground right now. That's 30.5 cm !!

It's fun for about the first 48 hours, after that it's just a pain to deal with. The cold is a b!tch as well because at these temps, regular everyday things stop working the way they are supposed to. You ought to hear the car start, the engine sounds like it's in pain.......LOL.

This is what you are missing:

-Mike G.