The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Graphics cards

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
StealthHellion
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Graphics cards

Post by StealthHellion »

I am currently in the market for a new PCI bus graphics card, hopefully one that will work great with FS9. 256mb at a minimum.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

PCI-Bus?

You mean old PCI bus or PCI-E?

If old PCI you haven't a hope.

Lots of good PCI-E cards, look for one in the nVidia 7900 series.
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

I think he thought PCI-E anyway ...

For a real hardcore solution let's use DX10 GeForce 8800 GTX but if you can wait then wait about one year to allow prices fall ...
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

I bought a Nvidea 7800 card at CompUSA for around $120. It has 512MB memory and is VISTA ready. Has worked well for FS2004 and FSX. Have to shop around and check out the NVidea site for reviews.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
StealthHellion
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by StealthHellion »

sorry I did mean PCI-E

The Radeon X1950 Pro 256mg is $100 off at Best Buiy, so it would be $200 for this week, was wondering if that would be a good investment or overkill.

Thanks for the input, I will keep looking.
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

I think it is quite a good offer. You will get 100 fps in FS9 (hm, joke?) but FSX still waits for dedicated cards nad processors :wink:
I've read somewhere that for FS9 these Radeons have a better price/performance ratio than GeForces ... try to search some posting of the owners ...
My experience with Radeon 9800 is that a picture quality was much better than with mine interim GeForce 6600 ( :oops: ) but GeForce is faster (veeeery old fashioned now).
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

One immediate thought, it is a very good graphics card, but it is ONLY Direct X 9.0 and Shader 3.0 compliant. So if you are thinking of FSX it would be out of date as you would need Direct X 10.0 and Shader 4.0.
Which way is up?
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Hmmm....may be best just to wait. Actually, wasn't thinking of FSX yet...MS has given me ZERO reason to change really...but still may be better to wait?
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

If you are not contemplating a change to FSX, I would still caution unless you are in desperate need of a new graphics card. My reasoning being that the new generation cards are starting to appear and as the number increases so the demand for the older cards decreases and prices drop substantially. I would seriously expect this card to drop in price considerably in the aftermath of Christmas.
Which way is up?
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

I am just ready to do some shopping!

My system is fine really...the one thing lacking is my graphics card....128 meg PCIe. It's a 3.2 duo processor with 4 gigs of Ram so I am only feeling a little pain at the busiest of airports.
Aeritalia
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Aeritalia »

Hi StealthHellion

I currently just got a new tower. Its a MESH X-treme² Pro SLI and its probally the best and fastest computor with the best graphics i have ever had. It has twin linked graphic cards ( two 512MB nVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT- nVIDIA SLI ) to be exact. I would seriously consider getting twin linked graphics cards, the result is just amazing. I run FS9 on full settings and its still fast as anything.

Carl
StingingCanine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by StingingCanine »

Carl,

That is a hot setup. Do you run FSX? I was wondering how a setup like that works for FSX.

My rig runs FS9 just fine with a nivdia 6600GT. It's all tweaked for FS9. I've had my Dell 8300 for about 3 1/2 years and I love it. I also have bought FSX, but I can't run it at an acceptable level on my machine even after a full week of tweakings. 10 -12 fps on a good day doesn't cut it.

I'm due for a new rig next winter. Your setup would probably be in my price range in about a year, so I was wondering how it performed in FSX. I can wait another year to run FSX!
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

/Hijack On

I just haven't seen anything in FS X to consider buying it yet. I buy just about every enhancement under the sun for FS 9 and to me...that's what FS X looks like. I was a bit disappointed at the lack of AI/ATC enhancements.

That being said...I am glad that they did come out with another FS product.

/Hijack Off