The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Blank screen in FS9

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Blank screen in FS9

Post by Graham King »

On my new computer running Vista 64 I have a problem with the spot plane view, which is what I use most for looking at my paints. If I switch the time from day to night, to check the nightmaps, I get a blank screen. One way is to fix this is to go to the aircraft selection screen, NOT change the aircraft and it then appears. The blank screen also happens with other things and I can the aircraft to reappear by going to the view menu but not changing from spot view.

I also have FSX installed in a different folder on the same partition. I have installed the lastest video drivers, EVGA Nividia 9800 GT+, and FS9 SP1. Anybody have any thoughts before I uninstall and re-install?
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It does sound to me like a bug in the latest drivers for your card. Try using the oldest vista version driver available for that card and seeing if the problem exists back them.
If it does then you will have to try switching some of the graphics variables, using something like nHancer. I know that I had to do some frigging around under XP to get rid of the jaggies due to the default FS9 driver settings.
Steve
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Hey Graham,

I too run Vista 64bit. I get a black screen regulary with FS9 usually when I first run the game. On my set up I just minimize the screen then open it again. This seems to solve it for the rest of my session.

Mark
Mark
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Graham I have the same issue. I just click on select aircraft, then cancel it...and everything pops back in. I never found a reason for it or a fix. I don't think I have seen the same problem in FSX.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
eli
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by eli »

I am running FSX with Vista 64. I just experienced a black screen a few minutes ago while flying. I had just purchased and installed La Guardia airport from IMAGINE SIM. I thought the black screen had something to do with the new scenery install. I had to shut off power and re-boot.

Since others are having black screen problems maybe it's something else?
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

OK, thanks for that. It will save me un-installing and re-installing FS9. I like the minimze trick.
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

As an update I had to reformat the hard disk and reinstall everything, a problem with codecs. Since then I now have no problems with FS9, no blank screens. What has changed I have no idea, I just thought I would comment it is possible.
Graham King

www.graham-king.me.uk

msm8378
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

I run Vista 64 Home Premium as well. I have been doing a lot of "trial and error" education on Vista here lately and have found that when installing software I avoid a lot of headaches by running a registry cleaner/repair program and disk defrag program after the initial software install. I use the two free programs described above from www.auslogics.com

If you have ever operated Windows NT before, you will probably remember how "touchy" the registry could be. Vista 64 is the same, but we have a lot of good programs out to keep it healthy now.

Hope this helps. Since I started really watching the condition of the registry, all of my new installs have been going a lot smoother... :P

Mat
N35W
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by N35W »

Forgive me, but I'm not even close to Vista in OS's, But in the old school way, stuff like this was most of the time connected to renegade apps shifting around the Directx files. Try reinstalling your current Directx drivers or getting the latest Directx version for Vista.

Try that for style. :)
Jeff