The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Putting FS on another drive

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Putting FS on another drive

Post by BLACKCAT »

I want to load FS9 onto my other hard drive (to run it as pure AI set in 1981) ie 2 copies on one machine - each on a separate drive, but when I put Disc1 in and hit 'setup' all it does is to start running my existing installation.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Yes mate don't sweat it there is.

Ive got FS9 running on my PC and a external drive they both share the ssme FS9.cfg but have different AI/scenery running. All you need to do is COPY your FS9 folder and PASTE it to you new location on your other drive.

Then create a new shortcut with a new name (ie 80's FS9)....etc.
Next thing to do is remove any aircraft folders you do not wish to use on this set up.
Lastly load up your new FS9 and in the scenery list uncheck any scenery no longer needed for this set up. Then close FS9 and remove those Scenery folders (optional).

This is how I did it and had no issues, I'm not saying it's the best way to do it though.

Fuel for thought

Mark
Mark
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

Thanks, I'll give that a go.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Re: Putting FS on another drive

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Creaking sound on opening this topic.

Can I ask some supplementary questions regarding the use of FS9 on external drives.

1) Can I easily remove FS9 from main HD to ext HD, or is it better to do a complete new install on the new drive?
2) Is their any loss of performance on using FS9 from the ext HD?

Thanks in advance.

Of course if you damn developers would stop coming up with new stuff, I wouldn't be running out of HD space in the first place :twisted: :lol:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Hey Stewart,

Well cut and paste worked fine for me, and I have not noticed any drop off in performance.

It will still leave your FS9.cfg on your main drive but it still works just fine and dandy. However if you copy paste and create Two versions I have found it is better to rename one of the FS9.exe files to something different, this forces FS to create two seperate FS9.cfg files.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

And something on the same lines.

I have my scenery on a seperate drive to FS9. Whether you have one or two versions of FS9 working it/they can draw the scenery from the same drive.
I have split it up for management purposes with each country seperate. Drive/FS9 scenery/UK/Coningsby...etc

I haven't checked if there is any slowing down but it is certainly not noticeable on mine.

Chris
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Many thanks guys.

Currently my "old" system has an 80GB HD, which (as you can understand) is getting very crowded. Waiting for arrival of 500GB ext HD (Ebay is my friend) so intend swapping FS9 completely onto the new drive.

Will report back here for future reference.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."