The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Another tech problem: ntdll.dll

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
james84

Another tech problem: ntdll.dll

Post by james84 »

Hello all,
yesterday I was taking a short flight from Prague to Oslo, and experienced a CTD while overflying the Baltic Sea.
The error message was related to a file called ntdll.dll.
I spent a lot of time trying different solutions, even reinstalled the whole game, but the problem persisted.
Today I will try to deactivate the sceneries. Also noticed something strange: the GPS map was not complete (don't know how to exply... I'll post a screen later).
Any idea or suggestion??
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

James,
ntdll.dll is actually a Windows file. You may need to repair your Windows setup, if you are lucky. It could also be a memory stick fault.

This might be useful http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... dlldll.htm
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Wow, bad news... I need to reformat this old machine then!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Not necessarily, just go through the doc. You may find that a repair may be enough.
Steve
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

I have had the ntdll problem on numerous occasions but it seems, in my experience, to be geographically and PC operating system specific. I have only occasionally had it on my PC running XP but frequently on my laptop running Vista. An example: Brize Norton. Start at the 08 threshold and slew down the runway - on the Vista laptop I get about 1/3 down the runway and FS crashes - no problems (using the same scenery) with XP. Norvenich is another location where FS crashes due to ntdll and so is Cologne-Bonn.

Norvenich was particularly interesting as I tried to tie down exactly where the crash was occurring. I narrowed it down to the southeast corner of the airfield. I was able to slew around anywhere but as soon as this area was entered, from any direction - crash. And this was stock airport, scenery and even generic scenery removed through the bgl.

Elsewhere, I've stripped away all scenery and extra afcads going back to the raw FS airfield and it still happens. I think there is a conflict somewhere, and I mean 'geographically' somewhere, between FS and the operating system. My guess is that it is in the terrain database.

We are not alone; google throws up numerous threads about this problem along the lines 'I was flying from X to y and after 10 mins FS crashed giving ntdll as the fault'. I'll bet a pound to a penny that the 10 mins will be coincident with one of these FS/ntdll conflict points.

My laptop came with Vista already installed and I have no idea how to try to repair it without the master Vista disc.
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks guys!
james84

Post by james84 »

Here is what I meant above about the GPS map. Look at the top right corner

I removed all the content of the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder (not the traffic) and the sceneries themselves and everything went fine. The NV4 display error occurred but that's another story!
I'll make further tests and let you know though!
james84

Post by james84 »

Ok, I confirm the problem depends on something in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder. I have flown another route passing in the same area (Gdansk, Poland) and had the same problem. Once I removed the content of the folder everything went on smoothly.
I think it might depend on some duobled afcad file. In that folder I also have some AFX files (Polish airbases included, kindly provided by a member of this forum, don't remember who, though, and MAIW)... might they be related to my experience?
Target

Post by Target »

I think that at least on my PC it usually happens when something graphic related happens, i.e. often when a faulty 32bit AI-texture is loaded.

Best regards,

Phil