The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Win 7

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
ronniegj

Win 7

Post by ronniegj »

Did anyone try out the free Win 7 Release Candidate? If so, were there issues with FS9 or FSX. How about various add-ons? Win 7 will be available very soon, and I am hoping that it will clean up all my issues (XP Pro was a mistake - doesn't have many of the various drivers I need, and have not been able to find all - XP Home had the drivers, but I no longer have a copy to install) and have high hope 7 will get me back to FS. I,d also like suggestions as to which version of 7 to buy!

Ron
Dave YVR ATC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Dave YVR ATC »

I've been running Windows7 64bit RC Build 7100 since the day it was released and have had not a single crash/freeze or stability issue.
It's been rock solid and runs awesome with FS9, FSX, BF2, CoD4, Cod5 to mention a few.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Fantastic news, thanks very much! Now to choose the version.

Ron
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Re: Win 7

Post by flyboy »

I got Win 7 Professional at 12:01 Thursday morning and have been reloading my system. So far I have had no major problems other than a few drivers that were not available but allowed me to set them up in XP or Vista mode. I have upgraded from Win XP to Vista and now to this. I have reloaded FSX with Acceleration Pack, Ultimate Terrain X, Ground Environment X, Active Sky Advance, X Graphics, Heli Traffic X, AirTraffic FX, and Addon Converter X with no issues. I am now importing 74GB of Flight Sim 2004 back on to the drive and will set that up tomorrow. Will let you know how that goes.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I have been waiting for 7 to come out prior to getting a new gaming laptop. Somewhat related to this, but what would be the best way to transfer all my FS9 files, including almost every US based MAIW package, into the new laptop without losing anything? I am thinking about getting FSX finally as well since I will have the cpu power to push it, any conflicts with having both sims installed on the same machine?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

I am keeping backups of all my Flight Sims related things on 5 different external hard drives (3-80GB, 1-250GB and 1-500GB). When I need to restore something, I just copy back what I need. I use a program called Vice Versa Plus 2.4 from www.tgrmn.com. Very easy program to use for backup and restore of all most anything. I am running both FS9 and FSX on same main drive with no problems. I can also run different levels of AI and scenery from the externals as needed.

Win 7 makes all the memory installed available and that what has helped me, as I have added more memory and XP would not use the last GB of it. Win 7 Pro comes with a 32bit and a 64bit version disc, depending on what you want to run.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

I installed Win 7 (64) the day it was released, I'm not a great fan of Microsoft OSes, but I have to same I'm very impressed so far. :smt023 Sure, there are a lot of new things to get used to, such as the way Explorer works and displays file paths but I'm getting there. And UAC; well, enough said.

I did a fresh install of the OS and all programmes, including FSX, and things have gone well, with very few issues and none whih haven't been easily solved.

Bar one - I wasn't able to add any addon scenery until now. Each time I tried FSX told me it couldn't find any suitable files, but I found a solution, so if anyone else comes across this issue just follow this video tutorial.

It's as simple as that! :smt003
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
james84

Post by james84 »

Good to know FS2004 and Windows 7 work well together, my PC is giving negative signs... yesterday evening it restarted and didn't load!
So i unplugged the slave HD, and it went well... but after almost seven years of honoured service it's time to change!
Luckily I backed up the whole Flight Simulator yesterday!
This is the chosen substitute: what do you think?
http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/productv.do? ... 4294006711
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by maddog65 »

James,
Looks like a good machine. The only thing I would be concerned with is if you upgrade the video card you will also need to upgrade the power supply. The machine you listed only has a 220 watt and most video cards are asking for over 300.

Les
Les

Post by james84 »

maddog65 wrote:James,
Looks like a good machine. The only thing I would be concerned with is if you upgrade the video card you will also need to upgrade the power supply. The machine you listed only has a 220 watt and most video cards are asking for over 300.

Les
Thanks Les!
I hope I won't need any new graphic card! Definitely, it will be better than my old GeForce 440 MX!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Good looking system for sure. Now that 7 is out and everyone seems to have no issues, I need to narrow my search down on a replacement laptop. I think my FS9 knows this, recently when I load it all my preset keyboard assignments are missing, even the default ones! Must be a FS9.cfg issue or something.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
james84

Post by james84 »

Victory103 wrote:Good looking system for sure. Now that 7 is out and everyone seems to have no issues, I need to narrow my search down on a replacement laptop. I think my FS9 knows this, recently when I load it all my preset keyboard assignments are missing, even the default ones! Must be a FS9.cfg issue or something.
I had an issue with FS some days ago, it didn't load at all. I deleted fs9.cfg and the game loaded normally. This to say that you can delete your fs9.cfg, because when you load the game it will create a new one. Of course you will lose all the settings, but it doesn't take much to re-configure the game!