The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Help! ntdll.dll error!

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
james84

Help! ntdll.dll error!

Post by james84 »

It's a couple of days that I get this kind of error and a CTD... any advice?
Ok, here are the files involved
fs9.CFG
dxdiag.xml
scenery.cfg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Help! ntdll.dll error!

Post by Firebird »

Well apart from after the last time it worked OK, what have you installed.

My question would be what does the Event Viewer give you on the crashes, I am assuming that you are using XP here.

If you know when it started crashing I would try a system restore to before that point. ntdll is a core windows proggy. If somethiong is causing that to blow up then something is terribly wrong with whatever is causing it.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks for answering!
I ended up backing everything up (20 gigabytes, it took the whole morning!) and reinstalling, but it didn't work. The game actually loads but when I change location 3-4 times (I noticed it yesterday while spotting some newly installed AI) the loading bar appears and then it crashes to desktop. I also suspect there is somthing wrong with Win XP, something similar happened some time ago. Yes, I think it depends on something recently installed, but I didn't add anything, maybe my brother? Or perhaps Windows updates?
I guess that if I reformat the HD I will sort it out, but I did it just a couple of weeks ago!
At the moment there is no FS2004 on my PC... we'll see!
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

You can Google the error message and look for a fix.
I've done that a few times and it's always worked.
Kevin Jarvis

scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

Question:
What is the ntdll.dll file?

Answer:
What is ntdll.dll?

The ntdll.dll file is a file created by Microsoft that has a description of "NT Layer DLL" and is the file that contains NT kernel functions.

This file is located in the c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32 directory and can also be found in the c:\i386 directory.

Is this file a security threat?

This file has been flagged as a critical security risk in the Microsoft security bulletin MS03-07 dated March 17, 2003. If you have all the latest updates for your version of Windows you should not be affected by this security risk.

Is this file a spyware, trojan, or virus?

The ntdll.dll file included with Microsoft Windows is not spyware, a trojan, or a virus. However, like any file on your computer it can become corrupted by a virus or trojan. antivirus programs can detect and clean this file if it has become infected. Because this file is part of Windows users should never delete or remove this file if they think it is infected, let the antivirus program handle it.

Can I delete this file?

No, this is a file required by Windows and deleting the file will cause errors with Windows.

I'm getting an error with this file in Internet Explorer

Users who are encountering an error with this file while in Microsoft Internet Explorer can often resolve the issue by removing any third-party add-ons. Additional information about removing Internet Explorer add-ons as well as other basic troubleshooting steps that can be done if this does not resolve your issue can be found on document CHIE.

Additional Information:
james84

Post by james84 »

Hmmm... the more I go on, the more I think that formatting is the only solution!
james84

Post by james84 »

Ok, I reinstalled the whole game with the sceneries and some afcads (not all of them), and still have to copy the aircrafts. I think I'm going to remove landclasses and meshes as well. No problem at all and runs fine. So this makes me think that there is something wrong with some recently installed a/c... that is SBAI An-74 and some Il-76s and other propeller-engined Antonovs.
EDIT: I carried out some testing and I had some trouble after copying the Il-76. A new error came out: weather.dll.
Now I'm copying the rest of the aircrafts and will try running the game without the forementioned Russian aircrafts.
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

The weather.dll can be found on cd#2 in the modules folder, some add-on software can delete it mainly PMDG
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks, Scott!
I don't have PMDG addons, so I think it depends on sth. else. I tested the game for a bit with no problem and now it got stuck on d3d9.dll.
I thin I'll uninstall it and reinstall after formatting...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The d3d9.dll is part of the DirectX 9 system.

Check using dxdiag that this is ok.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks, I'm trying with dxdiag and everything seems ok. It looks like something depending on my operating system which already happened one year ago or so, and reformatting the HD solved the problem. I uninstalled the game now.