The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

I need a small favour...

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
james84

I need a small favour...

Post by james84 »

Hello all!
I uploaded this file with .pln format IFR flightplans some days ago on Avsim
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=142220

Somebody wrote an e-mail because he doesn't manage to load the plans. here is the text
"I extracted the Zip files and copied only the PLN files into the Flight Simulator Files foler. I however cannot pick this up when I start Flightsim 2004. Where are the _APP (application file) and .WX files to be able to fly this flight(or to start up this flight).
Could be I am using FS2004 - or I'm doing something totally wrong, but flying on FS for the past 10 years, I cannot seem to crack this one.
Please help, or where can I find the app and wx files. The only way I will be able to do this is to create my own flights with all your waypoints."

I guess he's missing some default file (default.wx or sth. like that). Would you please try to load these files with your FS2004 and tell me if you experience any trouble? What might be the reason why this guy doesn't manage to use the plans?
Thanks!
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: I need a small favour...

Post by KevinJarvis »

First off. If you have the pln file, thats all you need to see the flightplan.
The other files are only needed if you set the wx to a custom setting.
And I don't even know why you need that app file.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I load bare bones pln files into FS9 all the time.

Let me load it up and see what I get.

Gonna be Sunday before I get this done.

Edit: I fly VFR so I use a new freeware program called "Plan-G". It lets you see a sectional by which you fly. I have successfully loaded your flight plans into Plan-G which tells me they are in fact usable in FS9.

I will however load them into the sim as soon as I am able.

Edit #2: I was able to load your flightplans into FS9 with no trouble at all. They showed up in the GPS too. It's my opinion that there is nothing wrong with your flightplans.

The sender of the email suggests a file for the 'flight' but you have stated these are flight plans only. Which is correct.

The sender also asked for the weather or wx file. You didn't state that you included them so no fault of your own. Possibly this person still thinks he's getting a 'flight' file which would include a wx file.
Another thing that is strange is that simmers who fly commercial routes usually use real weather. If so, why would he need a wx file?

Is he trying to load the pln file into an aftermarket aircraft with a fully usable FMC? Most of them will allow the use of pln files. But maybe he has something different.

My guess is that this person simply put the pln files in the wrong folder.
Even with his admitted experience, he could have made a mistake.

So, to summarize, I see nothing wrong with your pln files.

Hopefully someone will back me up on this.
Kevin Jarvis

kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

From what I can understand from the email text, the guy is trying to load your plans in the "select a flight" screen, rather than creating his own flight and then loading your flightplan in the "create a flightplan" screen.

Am I correct in thinking that the pln files are just "flightplans" rather than "flights"? If so, then the email sender may have misunderstood, and confused one with the other. Thus, he has not been able to find your "flight", as he should instead be looking for your "flightplan" in a different menu.

Failing that, he put the file in the wrong folder - as Kevin said.
Dan
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks guys!
Maybe I sorted it out. It seems there is sth. wrong in the file he downloaded, as the writer seems not to find the plan files!

"Sorry to trouble you but I am looking forward to fly your flights. When I downloaded it from AVSIM there were only a flightmemory.com maps,flight plans folder written in notepad and a readme file. There were no other documents. Maybe your complete programme was not posted on avsim. Perhaps you can tell me where I can download the other documents.
The last question, I am able to create flights with FS flightplanner - no problem. The default does create the wx and _app files - so the only thing I can think the complete file was not posted."
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

james84 wrote:Hello all!
I uploaded this file with .pln format IFR flightplans some days ago on Avsim
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=142220

Somebody wrote an e-mail because he doesn't manage to load the plans. here is the text
"I extracted the Zip files and copied only the PLN files into the Flight Simulator Files foler. I however cannot pick this up when I start Flightsim 2004. Where are the _APP (application file) and .WX files to be able to fly this flight(or to start up this flight).
Could be I am using FS2004 - or I'm doing something totally wrong, but flying on FS for the past 10 years, I cannot seem to crack this one.
Please help, or where can I find the app and wx files. The only way I will be able to do this is to create my own flights with all your waypoints."

I guess he's missing some default file (default.wx or sth. like that). Would you please try to load these files with your FS2004 and tell me if you experience any trouble? What might be the reason why this guy doesn't manage to use the plans?
Thanks!

Hmmm, so why did he say
"copied only the PLN files into the Flight Simulator Files foler"?

Also,
"flight plans folder written in notepad and a readme file." (from your post above)

seems to suggest he does have the .pln file. If he has ever used notepad to view the contents of a pln file, it will appear that all pln files have been written in notepad, as Windows will now display a notepad icon for all pln files.

I can only suggest that you download your own file again, from Avsim, and see whether it does indeed have the correct files or not.

I hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree again...
Dan
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

I downloaded from the link he provided at Avsim and I got the files in the correct format.

I see nothing wrong with them. Then again..I don't fly IFR.
Kevin Jarvis

james84

Post by james84 »

Sorted out.
Thanks for your help!