The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Blue Screens of Death...

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Blue Screens of Death...

Post by Victory103 »

Lately, I have been getting these from just a random issue to now it seems like everytime I run FS. I defrag and clean all the time, but I am getting the "physical dump of memory" blue screen error. I use a program to shut down all other programs prior to starting FS9. At first it would happen while flying online (VATSIM) with both FSNav and Teamspeak running.

Not that it matters, but I have most of the US MAIW packages installed, along with WOA civilian packages for major airlines, over 7900 (.cfg entries) total.
Specs:
Toshiba Satellite series laptop, purchased early 2005
1.5Ghz Celeron M
2ghz RAM (upgraded from 512mb stock)
80g HD (19% free)
ATI card

I have been procrastinating on getting a new gaming laptop (need mobility for constant military deployments) and trying to get a machine fast enough to allow me to finally start flying FSX as well as continue with FS9 and all the payware I have while on the move.

Any suggestions on how to fix my BSOD issues on my current machine? It's really starting to get annoying and I don't know what else to do besides get a new machine and transfer all my FS9 stuff over.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Blue Screens of Death...

Post by sprocky »

May not be related to your case but maybe worth a look. My previous laptop (Samsung) killed 3 HDD's in less than two years. even though I cleaned the fan and intakes/outtakes I still had the feeling it grills itself. It started with several blue screens and ended up with specific WIN related files not found on startup finally telling me C: could not be used.

On one occassion a friend told me he had the same prob with his older Toshiba laptop.

But it could also be a corrupt file as well as a memory leak due to a texture folder in a landclass folder, IIRC. :roll:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I try to clean it regularly, but it has been in the sandbox for over 2yrs. I looked at the special cpu manager program that came with laptop, which gives basic info on HDD/OS and I noticed my virtual memory was at a "-"value???

Forgot to add it's a XP SP2 os.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
scottr5213
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by scottr5213 »

There are essentially two major causes of the physical memory dump screen:

1. Running way to many programs at once.

2. Errors in the Windows registry.

The first cause can be fixed rather easily. Simply run fewer programs or purchase additional RAM or processor upgrades. Your computer is running past its specified limits. But keep in mind the blue screen of death should happen very infrequently. If you see the physical memory dump blue screen more often then the problem is clearly......

Errors in the Windows registry.

This is a more complicated problem to deal with. But the solution is rather easy. The registry is the most vital component of your computer. The registry contains settings and information to run all software and hardware on our computers. When there are errors in the registry it disrupts the computers ability to communicate. When the system cannot compute, it freezes up and displays the Windows blue screen.

Stop physical memory dump

The only way to fix these Windows errors is to completely clean out registry errors. I do not recommend doing this manually as you can cause serious damage if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks for the info. I initially started having them a few months ago and using a registry cleaner, the Blues went away. I use another program to "kill" other applications, and only have Flightsim, FSInn, FSNav and Teamspeak running when flying online. The latest happened after an online flight to KNBC, after landing I went offline and while the NBC scenery/AI was reloading, it went blue.

My RAM is maxed with only 2 slots, both containing a 1gb card.

I've been waiting to get a new gaming laptop, guess I should just bite bullet and do it, then reload all the MAIW packages.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

then reload all the MAIW packages.
Though you could just transfer them from one pc to the other, couldn't you? Though I have never done that with any of my FS files, it has come in handy before...