The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Another Vista problem!

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Chrisb
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Another Vista problem!

Post by Chrisb »

Hi,

I recently experienced problems with Windows explorer and a Nvidia control panel using Vista Home Premium and it drove me nuts enough to make a clean install.
I checked that Windows Exlplorer and the Nvidia were working as I reloaded my small amount of software, mainly FS related, and then set to downloading the 90 odd Vista updates, checking after each one, or multiple of ten little ones, that the two items were still working.

What I didn't bargain for, and didn't check until I had it all nicely finished and hadn't needed since a fairly early stage, was the DVD drive. When I came to use it I had an error message that indicated that Windows couldn't start the device (DVD) because its configuration information in the registry was incomplete or damaged (Code 19).

I have tried fitting a DVD made by someone else but the error message still has the old drive shown fitted and still has the fault.

I don't really want to go through a clean install again. There is a Windows Registry editor but I don't know anything about finding the bad entry. Can anyone help please?

Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Another Vista problem!

Post by Firebird »

It sounds a little bit like something that has occurred on the PC for the other half. It will not open using the button, and only works 50 per cent of the time when right clicking an ejecting on the device.
However if there is something in the drive it works first time every time. I know its an OS issue as it works fine outside of XP. Annoying.

My conclusion is that something is stamping over it, through the OS, but I don't know what. i even tried getting a newer driver and deleting the old one but ot makes no difference.

I know it doesn't help but you are not alone.
Steve
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Chris....more than one year ago... i MUST reinstall Vista for the same problem.... :smt022 .
It happened after an update downloaded and installed. Can't remember wich update was....

I HATE Vista and I've disabled the automatic download of any update.....

Giorgio
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

Thanks Steve.

Giorgio,

I learnt the non automatic download lesson some time ago too but I hadn't bothered to check that the hardware was all working as I went through all the updates and never dreampt that I would need too. Thats probably what happened then. I have had nothing but problems with Vista and am considering getting XP again.

Chris
vanguard 954
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by vanguard 954 »

Get hold of FS2004NoCD patch file ,all you have to do is drop the patch file into FS9,right click on FS9 to list the files,it should appear as FS9(2) Application next to the FS9 icon.All you have to do is click on it and FS9 will start.
good luck,Eddie.
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

I got the No cd patch and don't know why I didn't do it before. Worked very well and at least I can get FS9 going.
Thanks.

Chris
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Hi all, don't know if it's a Vista problem or not, but on the pc of my daughter, she can't hear audio from any video or sound coming from a web page. For example, videos from youtube are mute, without audio. All other sound it's ok. Music or movies from mediaplayer or messanger work fine.
Any idea?

Thanks, Giorgio
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

Check your Adobe Flash player(gets out dated very fast), My wife's computer had this problem and the best way to do it is to un-install it and do a fresh install of flash.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

scottr5213 wrote:Check your Adobe Flash player(gets out dated very fast), My wife's computer had this problem and the best way to do it is to un-install it and do a fresh install of flash.
Removed from ADD/Remove program and reinstalled.... Nothing to do... :cry:
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

I couldn't help on this one. I got so fed up of Vista's problems that I bought Windows 7 and 3 weeks later have not had any problems whatsoever.

Chris