The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

2 sims

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

2 sims

Post by aljude »

This follows a conversation, some time back, between testers...

I have a basic "test" sim and the "main" sim, both sharing the same config.

I found that after using, and closing, my test sim, and then starting my main sim, [or vice versa], the sim would lock upon loading, then I had to open Windows Task Manager and stop the FS9 Process...
This, so i thought, meant that the only way to swop sims was to re-boot the PC.... since then i found that by logging off and back on solved the problem, with no need to re-boot.

Hope this is of some use to those of you that have more than one sim.

Tony
Time travel does exist, i just discovered it next week...
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: 2 sims

Post by lewis »

Hey Tony, thats good to know. I too have 2 sims installed, and what I would do, was to reboot. If I would end a session in one sim and then start the other one, it would go to the first sim I had been before but it would not stall. Needed to reboot to be able to use the other sim. I have one with all my military stuff and one with my local area. Will try to add a third one for Beta testing :D Lewis
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by aljude »

lewis wrote:Hey Tony, thats good to know. I too have 2 sims installed, and what I would do, was to reboot. If I would end a session in one sim and then start the other one, it would go to the first sim I had been before but it would not stall. Needed to reboot to be able to use the other sim. I have one with all my military stuff and one with my local area. Will try to add a third one for Beta testing :D Lewis
Hey Lewis, you really know how to work your system... good luck with remembering which one you should be using.. lol

Let me know how you get on..
Tony
f14driver

Post by f14driver »

when you use Sun virtual box you can create multiple computersystems on one set of physical hardware.
I have that on my system and it's a joy to use.

My configuration consists ( at the moment) of a dual boot XP/WIN7 64b and I have a virtual Win7 machine and A Windows server 2008 virtual machine running at it as well. I can run win-7, win-7 virtual and Windows server 2008 all at the same time alongside of each other
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

aljude wrote:This follows a conversation, some time back, between testers...

I have a basic "test" sim and the "main" sim, both sharing the same config.

I found that after using, and closing, my test sim, and then starting my main sim, [or vice versa], the sim would lock upon loading, then I had to open Windows Task Manager and stop the FS9 Process...
This, so i thought, meant that the only way to swop sims was to re-boot the PC.... since then i found that by logging off and back on solved the problem, with no need to re-boot.

Hope this is of some use to those of you that have more than one sim.

Tony
Hey Tony,

I just fell over something by accident and it works a treat.

I also have 2 installs one for me and one for Test and Development. I renamed my test and development FS9.exe to TestFS9.exe and also the linked shortcut. What I found is doing this creates its very own unique FS9.cfg, named TestFS9.cfg. This may stop you having to reboot each time...maybe,

Mark :D
Mark
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by aljude »

Good find Mark.. i still need two scenery configs for the test sim, one being "basic" without Flight Sim Global...

Tony
Bosshogg
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bosshogg »

3 sims for me: 1. North America 2. Europe 3. Asia and currently don't experience any problems switching from one to another.