The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Why do I have a WINNT folder when I am running Windows XP??

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Why do I have a WINNT folder when I am running Windows XP??

Post by Firebird »

The key thing about what drive you can run XP from is down to one thing. Can the system see the disk on its initial start. I don't mean after its set up, but from the XP installation disk startup.
What I mean here is that I could configure my RAID arrays from the boot up option but the XP installation CD can see them as there is no RAID support built in. I had to frig around with it. What I found was that my external USB/Firewire drive was actually picked up before the internal drives, so in theory I could well have my boot partition there.
Steve
Dark Morelia
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by Dark Morelia »

Ah yeah, that's something I forgot, the XP install cd doesn't support SATA hard drives, so it will be unable to format one without loading drivers from a disc (pain in the arse).
It sounds like you still have the original hard drive that came with your pc? it's probably an IDE one, so there won't be anything to worry about, but best check before you start.
I'm lazy with partitions, I usually just make a system one where the OS and programs go, and a data one where all my files and games go. :mrgreen:

I've been thinking about moving to Win7 too, it came on the new laptop my dad just got, and I must say it seems pretty decent, if a little dumbed down control-wise (I like complete control of my system, and finding the settings i want in it is like jumping through hoops)
The main reason I haven't moved yet is I'm not sure if all the little third party apps I use for FS work and other game mods, etc will work in 7...
Drew >>

fishlips

Post by fishlips »

I've heard that various problems are occuring with Win7 when running FS9 & X app's. Some of the older proggy's won't work. Some people are also installing XP as second startup.

Mark
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

I have Windows 7 x64 on both my PC and laptop now, and never encountered a problem with any FS9 apps (and I use a lot of them). The only thing I needed was a workaround for installing ACM (same problem in Vista by the way).