The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

My PC Problem

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Pixy
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

My PC Problem

Post by Pixy »

This problem is so annoying! Recently, when I play games at middle or high settings, when I played it, not for long, computer restart or hang. I have suspected this is a PSU problem, but I've been thinking, when I just installed and use the new graphic card (A HD 4670 with requirements of minimum 400 Watt PSU), nothing gone wrong, after some times (A month maybe), I have this problem. But I have a 450 Watt PSU, a little bit close to minimum but, does my PSU lose power? Is it possible? For know, I have to play games with a very low settings, even with low settings, still, the computer often restarts though. Thinking about to change PSU. What do you think about this?

Thank you
Tatit
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: My PC Problem

Post by BadPvtDan »

I would think power. What are your other specs? Hard drives?
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Pixy
Captain
Captain

Post by Pixy »

Thanks for the response Dan, here's my spec :

Intel Pentium 4 2.04 GHz
1 GB RAM (2x 512MB Corsair) DDR
HIS HD 4670 1 GB AGP 8X
80 GB HDD + 120 GB External
SiS Mirage Motherboard (I forgot the type of the motherboard)

I have a pretty old system. Never had this problem when I first install and use the new graphic card.
Tatit
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Agree that it is power. Didn't see problems at first but as the components age they start to degrade. since you said you have an old system I would think that the PSU is finally giving up.

just my 2 cents
Les
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Newegg shows that that video card requires a 450 W PSU. Your PSU,especially being older, is definitely losing some power due to inefficiency. They all do to some degree. In the interim, you might try unplugging your external hard drive. You will definitely need a new PSU though, IMO.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

I would say the power supply, when I first bought this system one of two things I did was buy a graphics card and power supply, I was able to get a cool master 850 watt psu from frys electronics for 50.00 and havent had a problem yet, and the nice thing about it if I wanted to rebuild my system later I just swap the psu into the new one.
Pixy
Captain
Captain

Post by Pixy »

Thanks guys. It's sucks when playing games in a very low settings :roll:
Tatit