The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

fsx problem

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

fsx problem

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Any help much appreciated with this.
I have just upgraded my PC with an intel i7-930 proccesor, and an ATI 5770 graphics card + new motherboard etc. Now fsx runs slower than when I had my old AMD3400 single core set up.
I have windows XP installed and have the most up to date drivers for the graphics card etc.
This problem happens even when the sliders are at their lowest.
The picture is jerkey & I get massive triangle effects instead of scenery.
I have windows 7 coming soon, perhaps it is XP that is the problem (DX9 & DX10 compatability)?

cheers for any help
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Re: fsx problem

Post by maddog65 »

did u try and create a new fsx config file? It may have some of your old hardware info and that is causing it. I have seen a benchmark test with that CPU running FSX and it was awesome!
Les
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Hi Maddog
Sorry, I forgot to say that I have a brand new hard drive as well, & it was a fresh install.
I have installed FSX SP1 & SP2, had the same problem. Then I installed acceleration, same problem, although not as bad with the triangulation, it is still stuttering.
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Sorry I can't help more. I don't have FSX installed so besides the basics not much help.
Hopefully somebody that uses FSX will chime in.
Les
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Thanks for trying maddog. I have just put it back to restore default set up & its fine now. Looks like it was something to do with the filtering used, but other things have also changed, so who knows what it really was.
I thought that after spending all this money upgrading, I could finally use FSX with everything cranked up, but alas, It looks like I have wasted my time (and money)
Thanks anyway.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Just wondering! Have you been reading the series of articles in the Computer Pilot Magazine on bench marking FSX, by Doug Horton? The first part was published in Jan 09, and the most recent, part 5, is in the current issue.

Over the span of articles he has moved from less capable processors up to the current processor, an i7-980X. He indicates that a current graphics card should be sufficient, and that the most important issues are 1) processor, 2) memory that is appropriate to the processor, and finally 3) operating system, with Win 7 giving the best results so far (standard install of FSX/Accelerator 20% better, and with lots of add-on's 35% better performance in Win 7 over previous operating systems).

He explains how to get the best from the processor, and makes it clear that best results are available using multi-core processors.

He does provide some guidance over the series of articles for choosing best settings for best performance etc. If you are interested, I'll give you the list of issues that contain the articles (part 5 miss-states the correct list of issues).

Back issues are available ($7.95), however, the magazine is in the process of making individual articles, and back issues available as pdf's as instant downloads, although currently only the part 5 is available as a pdf (99 cents US) and only the current issue containing part 5 ($4.95). I have no idea how long it will be before the rest is available for download. Perhaps these articles will be able to help you achieve success with your FSX, if you have not already seen them!

Ron
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Hi Ron

Thanks for the information. I have just got windows 7 today, so I will try it on FSX tomorrow.
As I had XP originaly, it would only see 2.99 gb of ram, but with W7 it see`s all 4gb now.
I have installed the 64 bit version so maybe that might help & also I can now use DX10/11 instead of DX9. I will have to wait and see if all this makes a difference?
If you have the info from the magazine for an average to good set up foe FSX, I would be very gratefull if you could pm it on to me.
I used to get the magazine a long time ago but it was getting a bit expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Cancel everything.
I have installed windows 7 & it has solved all my problems.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Oh good. I wasn't sure I could summarize all those articles well enough to do you any good.

Glad you got it all sorted.

Ron
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Thanks for your help Ron.