The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

New PC.

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

New PC.

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Just ordered a new PC and wondered if anyone has "transferred" FS9 over from one rig to another.

If so, any tips, suggestions and warnings would be appreciated.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: New PC.

Post by MIKE JG »

Details! :smt003

Win7/64 bit by any chance?

BTW, I'm in the market for new machine myself.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Okay Mike;

Current: Win XP P4 2.8Ghz, 1.5G RAM, 80GB HD, Nvidia 6600 Graphic Card

New: Win XP Intel Core 2 (dual) 5.6 GHZ, 2G RAM, 500GB HD, Nvidia 280 quadro card

Is it possible to install FS9 into the new rig, then transfer the numerous files over, or do I have to start downloading and installing again?

btw: Went with this set-up due to the many posts I've seen about Win 7 problems with FS9..................that and the fact that I am on a restricted budget. Wouldn't have updated, other than the need for more HD space. My rig is of an age where it would not accept a "plug and play" external drive :roll:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Dave YVR ATC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Dave YVR ATC »

My FS9 is the same one that has gone through numerous reformats and 2 new builds without reinstalling over the past 3 years.

You'll want to run one of the registry entry repair tools like this one http://www.simforums.com/forums/fs9-reg ... 19053.html .

The only issue I've come across is if I've installed the Level D 767, it needs a complete new install for FS9 to run. I've got a fair bit of addon scenery (342 entries in the scenery.cfg) and it's never been an issue. If you can copy or move your current FS setup to the new rig, try it out and see. It should just fire right up.
Windows10 Home
Intel i7 8700K at 5ghz
32gb G.Skill DDR4/3200
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti SC
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Cheers

Will report back when I have further news.
Stew

Kurosaki
Captain
Captain

Post by Kurosaki »

Yes, it is possible to transfer all fs9 in on .zip to another comp (burnt to DVD or on an external HD).

Currently I run a Win 7 64-bit machine and was able to bring it all over from XP no problem. The only area that gets a little odd is the registry information will not be correct for those modules and applications which require it. I believe there is a registryfix (see the post above mine..I've used it with success) application or download that will remedy that issue...also, don't forget to copy/bring over your old FS9.cfg.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Thanks again.

What about transferring using a network cable connecting both machines. Has anyone tried that option?
Stew

DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

Hi Stewart

I have never done it by linking them with a cable but i have done it using an external hard drive before.

All i did was uninstall FS and it leaves all the files that you have added yourself. Then i transfered them onto my external HD and placed them onto my new machine. seemed to work ok for me
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Stew
I have got two machines hard wired to a wireless modem
I just make the file i want off one by right click and share the search for it via the network on the other and copy it straight across

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Gary,

I picked up a Netwrok cable (USB) which (I think) will do the same trick. Just got to get round to doing it.
Stew

Kurosaki
Captain
Captain

Post by Kurosaki »

If not, and if you've got enough time, FS would be fine just moved in blocks/folders on a USB stick. Could take a while...I recommend Walmart's black friday deal...500gb seagate for 40$. It'll change your life. :wink:

OR...burn it in chunks to DVD and just copy/paste in the same location/format. Again the biggest issue is likely having to reinstall modules and a few other things that are more finicky about registry type things.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Thanks guys.

To be honest, I've had the new tower sitting in it's box for over a week now. Just waiting until I can pluck up the courage to make a start. :oops: :lol:
Stew