The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Leave on or turn off?

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Leave on or turn off?

Post by delbydoo »

Hey all,
Just wondering, and I'm sure there is no definitive answer to this, but I would like to see what the consensus is......I turn my PC off overnight, but I know some people who run their machines 24/7, and some who do that but turn it off every three or four days to clear memory, caches etc.
What do other peeps do? Is it doing my PC any long-term harm by turning off every night or would I do more harm by not turning it off? Interested in what people think on this...
Cheers
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Leave on or turn off?

Post by BadPvtDan »

We leave all of ours on overnight...four of them. I do sometimes do a manual reset, though, particularly if one of them is running sluggishly (which is only my main because I am constantly tweaking things).
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Mine stays on 24/7 for the most part. If I leave town for a night, I will shut it down. At it's age though, 8 years and counting, I don't like to run it through more boot ups than I have to. One of these days, it just aint gonna start back up.....
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

Post by tango234 »

Usually I just have mine on standby all the time. I only turn it off if I'm going to be away from home for over 24 hours.
Dave YVR ATC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave YVR ATC »

I mostly put both of my pc's to sleep for the night, shutting them down maybe 3 nights a week.
Windows10 Home
Intel i7 8700K at 5ghz
32gb G.Skill DDR4/3200
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti SC
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Thanks for your input guys, may have to re-assess my operating procedures.
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

So am i the only one who turns it off then?
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

My laptop's HDD died exactly one week past the warranty date. Almost like clockwork. I have a feeling that constantly turning it off and on, led the HDD to fail much sooner than it otherwise would have.

That's the logic behind why I try not to turn my computer off that much. Well that and it takes FOREVER to boot up these days.....
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

Mine stays on for 2 reasons, 1. in the middle of the night I have all my scans scheduled, 2. I dont have to worry about my boot up time frame, when you start your pc thats when the HD works the hardest and puts the most strain on it. The only thing I do at the end of the day is shut down the monitor.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

scottr5213 wrote:2. I dont have to worry about my boot up time frame, when you start your pc thats when the HD works the hardest and puts the most strain on it. The only thing I do at the end of the day is shut down the monitor.
That's exactly what I needed - not being a PC-minded kind of guy, hey you switch it on, then you switch it off :roll: OK I think I have reached the decision - keep it on but let it sleep......
Cheers peeps
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

It seems that you all contribute a lot to the global pollution. :lol:
Personally I switch on and off my two laptos at least two or three time every day and I never have had problem. (till now... :roll: finger crossed :wink: )
Don't know if this is because our 220V are more stable than 110V.
BTW, I don't want to teach nothing to no one, but think about on how many electrical power you need to keep switched on your PCs and how much it weights on your wallets.

Cheers, Giorgio
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

PC -> off for the night
Laptop -> sleep mode only; just incase some of the software had an update over the day I switch it off to have a clean start next morning. Especially McAfee causes problems if you don't reboot after 24hours :evil:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

bismarck wrote: BTW, I don't want to teach nothing to no one, but think about on how many electrical power you need to keep switched on your PCs and how much it weights on your wallets.

Cheers, Giorgio
You would have a stroke if you knew about the two dedicated electrical circuits installed into my home just for my aquarium!
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I used to run 3 x PC's 24/7 all of which were running various BOINC projects.
Then I realised how much it was costing me in electricity and put a stop to
all of it. now I only switch on the PC's when I am actually using them (I'm
afraid I can no longer afford to support SETI, Climateprediction.net and
various others).
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

petebramley wrote:I used to run 3 x PC's 24/7 all of which were running various BOINC projects.
Then I realised how much it was costing me in electricity and put a stop to
all of it. now I only switch on the PC's when I am actually using them (I'm
afraid I can no longer afford to support SETI, Climateprediction.net and
various others).
Same here; turned on when needed, off when finished.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

Same here, all off when not needed.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

BadPvtDan wrote:You would have a stroke if you knew about the two dedicated electrical circuits installed into my home just for my aquarium!
:smt119 ..... :lol:
sr01
Major
Major

Giving back to the MAIW community

Post by sr01 »

Daryl
leave them on and let them go to standby after 5 minutes . If I go out for a few days ,I'll turn off .
To clear any junk out that might be slowing down your PC ,IMHO,Don't turn off and on .Instead use a neat little FREE program=CCleaner.Run it at least every 2 days and then once a month ,check the "Wipe free space" option to clear up crap in the unused space of the HD .
Every month before I run another program -Wise clean disk before running CCleaner.
You'll be very surprised at how much faster your PC will run after . Of course all them cookies will be gone but WTH .
Hope this helps
Cheers
Brian
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Thanks Brian, I've just started using CCleaner in the last couple of months and I thinks it's a great little bit of kit - much easier to uninstall programs and clean up the registry all in one bin!!

I've also started using the stand-by; from what everyone has said on here, and I thank everyone for their input, I'll be standing-by every night - VAT over here has just risen to 20% (not sure if you are UK or not) so every little helps, and I'm sure that starting up fresh everyday has the same effect of starting one's car - you probably use more juice in the initial start-up than you would if it were left ticking over all the time......maybe, I'm not a mechanic!! :lol:
Cheers
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Glad ya likes CCleaner .BTW the original name was Crap Cleaner, but that was considered UnPC or is it Not PC or Politically Uncorrect or the Valley girl version "PC not like correct"
I'm in Montreal and our Hydro rates would probably sicken you - Over a 62 day period.
5.45 cents/KWh for the 1st 30 days and then 7.45 cents for the balance .to the bill add federal tax of 5% and then provincial tax of 7.5% .You guys ,though, are light years ahead of us with the use of LED lighting around the house .2nd and 3rd generation cool AND warm LED's are just turning up here in stores ! And a plus would be ,they give off NO UV radiation.Unlike the highly touted (Over here) compact flourescents .
Cheers
Brian