The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FS9 not loading when installing sceneries

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
james84

FS9 not loading when installing sceneries

Post by james84 »

Hello all,
I am using FS9 with Windows 7, so far I didn't have any trouble at all. Yesterday I installed some sceneries with a f**in' autoinstaller, and when I launched the game to activate the game wouldn't load leaving the splash screen visible.
I tried everything: removed FS9.cfg, reinstalled the game, even a system config restore... nothing!
The game only loads when there are no addon sceneries at all.
Any ideas?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: FS9 not loading when installing sceneries

Post by Firebird »

So you have reinstalled FS9 and it works fine.
Do you still have a problem when adding scenery back again? When you add the scenery do you do it manually or with the auto installer?

Without seeing a lot more about your systems and FS9 config, I would have to say start again from scratch. Load them all manually and take out the auto installer and shoot it. This is because I know nothing about the way 7 works. If you are not able to even manually add an MAIW scenery then you are seriously screwed. In this case I would lean towards there being a corruption of the filesystem run a 'chkdsk x: /r' , or whatever 7 has instead.

It may be a pain but I assume you have it all backed up so you can copy the scenery back and just add it manually to the cfg file.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks for answering! Luckily nI have an almost brand new PC, so backing up 20gigs of stuff doesn't take much.
I shifted to the new config again, and this time FS works regularly... don't know what happened!
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

It's a painful lesson always learnt the hard way :cry: Which is why now I always install EVERYTHING from aircraft to scenery into a temporary folder first, and look at the file structure - FS9 is fairly stable but it only takes one rogue file, and it can wipe out everything, so I "disect" first then pop everything where it belongs. Sacrilege I know, but I even do that with MAIW packages - just call me paranoid!! :smt017
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

delbydoo wrote:It's a painful lesson always learnt the hard way :cry: Which is why now I always install EVERYTHING from aircraft to scenery into a temporary folder first, and look at the file structure - FS9 is fairly stable but it only takes one rogue file, and it can wipe out everything, so I "disect" first then pop everything where it belongs. Sacrilege I know, but I even do that with MAIW packages - just call me paranoid!! :smt017

Not paranoid just sensible. After last HD failure I timed how long it took me to re-install everything as I liked it.
:smt022 :smt022

Would you believe that it took me nearly 220 hours over a period of nearly 6 months. This was before I became self-employed and lost pretty much all the spare time I used to have.

Backup on a regular basis (I do at least every 3 months). USB External HD's are relatively cheap now and well worth it. once bitten as the saying goes.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yep, good strategy there Pete.
I would give you all a tale of caution here. This sounds like really bad luck but it did happen to me. For years I have been backing up my entire system on a weekly basis, on Thursday night, and run a verify on it. Saturday morning a HD crash happened on the PC, no problem connected up my external drive and found that the HD refused to be found. The external drive was as dead as a dodo. No matter what I tried.

So in this situation my PC and my backup were useless. It took me 2 days to get my system back. Fortunately at that time I had not started hanging out with the MAIW crowd so I had no AI on my system. :lol:

Ever since then my backup is a two drive system in RAID 1. It may seem overkill to most, unless you have had a similar experience.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Fixed. I ended up reformatting everything, but it was just fault of a badly compiled ADE9X bgl. I removed and everything works fine.
At least now I'm working on a virgin setup with just few programs insalled and lots of free space!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ouch! An afcad could cause that.
Do you know what the problem was? Is it something that Jon from Scruffyduck can prevent from happening again?
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Firebird wrote:Ouch! An afcad could cause that.
Do you know what the problem was? Is it something that Jon from Scruffyduck can prevent from happening again?
I don't know indeed... I eventually discovered it depended on the ADE9X file I made for the Uruguayan T-37 package released with Angry Anderson. I merely added some parking spots to the default scenery, it seemed to load well but it didn't allow the game to load after some modification. I restarted it from scratch and it worked fine.
Maybe I compiled it splitting the (default) objects in another file? Don't remember indeed...