Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Windows 10

Post by John Young »

I have W10 1909 version and the update is waiting for me. I don't know how long it's been there because I wasn't prompted to look until I read Steve's post. I'll pluck up courage to install it at some point.

John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The only advice I would give is the same as all Windows version updates. Ensure that all your external USB drives are removed first, other than that make sure you have a backup of your current system - if you take backups.

MS backups are no use if it can't read the drive. They are only useful if you want to fallback to a previous version from a functioning drive.
Steve

TimC340
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Steve, it may be relevant that I have the Microsoft Windows Update Assistant installed on all my computers (it's not part of Windows, and it must be downloaded and installed separately). That looks after all the major updates for me.

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

If it helps...
I only had a problem because of a momentary power issue that caused my PC to restart midway through.
I have successfully upgraded over 20 PCs at work to 2004 without a single issue.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Tim, yes I was aware of it and was seriously thinking of using it if it went on much longer.

I seem to remember that once it gave notice that some software I had installed needed to be de-installed. That was the UXTheme patcher. I had problems with windows update download would complete but hang with a black screen. It was the one thing that told me what the problem was.
Steve

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gents,

Something that I have just figured out with Windows 10 that may be relevant to others.

Since Windows 10 2004, and still happens with 20H2, was that the screensaver would not kick in. Tried all sorts to make it work but to no avail.

Yesterday, it suddenly kicked in. Result. I then noticed that my CH Control manager icon on the tool bar was not in mapped mode and couldn't be put into mapped mode. It had some sort of corruption.
Long story shortened, it seems that CH Products Joystick and Throttle interfere with the operation of the screensaver. When the drivers and software were removed, screensaver kicked in. When the Control Manager software was installed, screensaver kicked in. When the devices were plugged in and the drivers installed, no screensaver.
Tried it all twice to confirm the facts.

The CH Control Manager hasn't been updated for years so I am stuck with hardware that is conflicting with the OS.
Steve

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

An update on this issue.
It seems that this issue has been around since Windows 7 and 2014. The problem is not confined to CH Products but Saitek and Thrustmaster, amongst others as well.
The issue affects or can affect any device that is recognized as "HID Compliant Game Controller". Why some people get affected and some not is unknown. MS are stubbornly silent on the affair.

I had found that some people reported that Geforce Experience was the cause, if you had an Nvidia card. If you went into that program and switched off the overlay option that cured it. Hopes raised. Hopes dashed. Didn't work for me.
I then delved deeper and came up with a work around, as I say MS have nothing nothing for 6 years. What i found was a portable app called DevManView. Like the built-in Windows Device Manager you can enable/disable devices and other activities with it.

The reason I am using that is that it has two crucial advantages. One being a portable app you can start it every time you boot up and it can be minimized to the tray. Secondly you can use a command line to enable or disable a device.
This means that you can run a batch file to enable or disable all of your controllers at the same time.

In respect to the CH controllers what I found is if I disabled the CH Control Manager Device 1 and 2 (these are virtually created when you combine your CH controllers in the control manager) then the screen saver came in as normal. The controllers then don't work in FS but simply enabling those 2 devices, or 3 if you have their rudder pedals as well, mean that you can use the controllers with no issues in game.

So in essence either disabling/enabling the offending devices in DevmanView or by running .bat files from the desltop get you around the issue.

Maybe this will help some people.
Steve

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have lost count of the number of times that I post an issue on this website and then immediately find a solution.

It has happened again.
Effectively the work around above does work but you don't need to use it.

The cause is an MS setting that you can alter it's just that for years nobody has seemingly found it fit to tell games, which may tell you something about how much they listen to them.

To solve the issue change the following setting via the Control Panel :-

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings (next to whichever plan you have selected) -> Change advanced power settings -> USB settings -> USB selective suspend setting - set to Disabled

If the setting is set to Enabled it means that any USB device can prevent your PC going to sleep.

If you want to be more particular and only alter individual devices then:-
Control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> (right click on the game pad) Properties -> Power Management

If Windows allows, check the first box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", and also uncheck the box "Allow this device to wake the computer".

For completeness, for those not comfortable with all the features of Windows 10 yet the old Control Panel display can be accessed by entering "Control Panel" in the Search icon/bar in the Toolbar.
Steve