The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

33 Squadron

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

33 Squadron

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Guys

Anyone got repaints of the 33 Squadron RAF Pumas in current colours not the retro ones. I've got those already thanks.

TIA
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: 33 Squadron

Post by Dinga69 »

Full package available on Avsim - search for this:
nbmkhc2pumaraf.zip
Hope it's what you're after!!
BaiterOne
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by BaiterOne »

Hi,

I downloaded the nbmkhc2pumaraf.zip file and installed the helicopters and flightplans.

To test them out, I randomly chose a time and a place from the flightplans provided and went there to have a look (within the FS2004 sim, obviously!)

Benson Airfield (EGUB) was chosen - sometime after 11.00 on a Monday morning.

There was a big green Puma just starting its engines.

I waited until it started taxiing and then followed it.

WHOOOSH!!

Big plumes of smoke!!!! (Much worse than that from the wheels of a big airliner touching down on the runway!)

The smoke then stopped and the helicopter continued on its merry way down the taxiway.

Then it started to seriously wobble backwards and forwards.

Then even more smoke!!!

Then the helicopter simply disappeared :shock:

No wreckage, no smoke - nothing.

Moments later a couple of Grobs came along, passed over the spot, and carried on without a care in the world.

What is the virtual RAF coming to that one of its virtual helicopters can just disappear in a cloud of virtual smoke in the middle of a virtual airfield and virtually no-one cares?

Seriously though....

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening.

The airfield is from MAIW UK Airfields\scenery\MAIW_ADE_EGUB_Custom.BGL.

Thanks

Walter
Thanks,

Walter

An FS2004 Die-Hard ...
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I use the Benson scenery on AVSIM as it's a very good representation. I've never seen what you describe happen. Try this scenery IIRC there is a retro version for Argosy days but also a current version

HTH
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Dinga69 wrote:Full package available on Avsim - search for this:
nbmkhc2pumaraf.zip
Hope it's what you're after!!
Hi got that and it's only got 230 Squadron in it. According to the Benson homepage its also home to 33 as well both flying the HC2
John

BaiterOne
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by BaiterOne »

Hi John,

thanks for the suggestion.

I downloaded an EGUB AFCAD from Grayfliers site to see would anything change.

I removed the MAIW EGUB temporarily and loaded the new one.

The airfield scenery was different but the Puma did the exact same trick.

So I loaded the same Puma into my flightplans for my own airfield EIWT.

It taxied the long distance to the runway in a very steady smoke-free manner and then took off vertically without any hassle.

It looks likely that I have a problem in the environs of Benson :-(

I will spend some time later looking at other airfields visited by the Puma.

Thanks

Walter
Thanks,

Walter

An FS2004 Die-Hard ...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You are correct that it only has 230 sqn in the package but the RAF only has 24x Pumas so therefore 33 Sqn is included in the package it is just not marked up as such.
If you find out which ones are assigned to 33 I would appreciate a shout as I prefer squadron allocations as opposed to wing allocations.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'll investigate Steve and I also prefer a/c in Squadron allocations.

Edit: looks like 230 and 33 share the choppers so there aren't any allocated to a particular Squadron. So I guess I could allocate a random number to each Squadron.
John

BaiterOne
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by BaiterOne »

Just to give a completed account of the problems that I encountered with the nbmkhc2pumaraf package.

First I must apologise to the MAIW Benson airfield - it is not the problem.

Then I must also apologise to the Greyfliers airfield - it is not the problem either.

Then I must also apologise to the flightplans supplied - they are not the problem either.

I went back to the default (empty) FS Benson airfield and put taxiways and 1 parking spot there.

I stopped all traffic at the airfield except for a test flightplan containing one TNG for a Puma.

Depending on where I put that parking spot, near the runway or far away, the Puma would burn up along the taxiway.

When I substituted the Puma with a Merlin the problem did not occur at any time.

It seems to me that something in the Puma doesn't like me :(

Has anyone else encounter similar 'problems' with the Puma and have they fixed it?

And to think this really has nothing to do with 33 Squadron, the subject of this thread - sorry! :oops:

Thanks

Walter
Thanks,

Walter

An FS2004 Die-Hard ...
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'll take a look as I have the same package installed, I can't remember if the Puma uses the same takeoff code as the Merlin.
John

tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

Post by tango234 »

The bouncing smoky explosion problem has made itself felt at the FSX Benson as well (orbx england version) as well, so not purely an FS9 issue. Its looking like I might have to fiddle with the FDE, and thats really not something I want to do, but hey...
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

You may have seen my video of the Puma landing at RAF Valley, i was using uk2000s VFR Airfields so it seems to happen randomly no matter what scenery is installed!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Yes, I did! Not hugely pretty I must say.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Well, I 'fixed' the problem by replacing the .air file and the config file from the original puma with those from the UKMIL AI version (which IIRC are based on the old stemme files). I retained the fltsim entries themselves, the contact points section, and removed the lights section from the UKMIL config since that seems to be missing from the NBMK puma. Its hardly a perfect fix as the landing gear is now permanently locked down, but, lets be honest, thats a lot better than helicopters with suicidal tendencies whenever they are in contact with the ground :P.