The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Kind request for a RAF Bruggen repaint

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Kind request for a RAF Bruggen repaint

Post by Manschy »

Hi to all repaint artists here,

I kindly would ask if somebody maybe feels like to repaint John Youngs outstanding F-4 Phantom, representing the early years of RAF Bruggen for FSX?
Regards, Manfred.
Bora

Re: Kind request for a RAF Bruggen repaint

Post by Bora »

Hi Manfred, does this mean that you are turning your RAF Bruggen scenery into a FSX version ?
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

I updated the paint kit to do a couple of 19, 92, 23, 43 and 111 Sqn retro camo jets. I can do a couple for the Bruggen squadrons too.

Download link for the 19, 92, 23, 43 and 111 Sqn paints:
https://app.box.com/s/qszvo2ye4vl5mdm28re8

BTW, the JY Phantom has the RWR housing on the tail which was not yet fitted on the Bruggen jets afaik. Just let me know what you think and I start painting.

cheers, Henk.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

You are correct, Henk.
Bruggen lost it's FGR2s before the RWR housing was added.
Steve
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

No. 31 Squadron - 1976.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I apologize. I was making a sweeping generalisation rather than being 100% accurate.

To be more accurate the first mod was done in '70 and the trial beast was XV410 (it is funny how some numbers stay in your head but you can't remember your PIN number sometimes - like XV474 was the first grey FGR2).
If I remember correctly the mod was rolled out in '75 (due to issues) and was done initially at HOSM (Holme-on-Spalding Moor) or when going through a major so it took quite a few years to complete the fleet.

So '501 is the exception rather than the rule and no Sqn had all RWR equipped birds for a few years. I joined the RAF in '76 and when I got to Coningsby in early '77 all the Bruggen sqns had been disbanded for Jags. I believe that there was only 1x CGY RWR FGR2, but can't be 100% certain, and that was on 41 Sqn although others started trickling in that in '77. Whether '501 was transferred to 41 or not I can't remember. There were a lot of Bruggen marked aircraft at Coningsby at the time.
I do remember that 228 OCU were the lowest priority as the RWR was not needed for type conversion.

The grey scheme came in quite a few years later but was applied when the aircraft went through Major, Minor or Primary Star maintenance.

This is why it got very confusing for some years as you could see all combinations of colours and tails for quite a few years.

It can be quite painful to find out which individual tail numbers had the mod and when but there were a small number in RAFG
Generally, the RAFG 'tooms did not have the mod.
Steve
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Steve, thanks for the interesting story about the RWR mod. Meanwhile I found FS9 AI Phantom models with the early tail. The package by Michael Pearson is available here on MAIW:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/download ... s-v-2-mpai

And there is a Bruggen + Laarbruch paint/traffic set for these models by Daryl Payne on AVSIM:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=182356

viper810

Post by viper810 »

Anyone know if there is or will come a RAF Wildenrath package?
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

viper810, I once made a simple EDUW scenery for FSX, it is available on SOH:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/l ... &catid=113

It requires scenery objects from MAIW and Jim Dhaenens' RAF Gutersloh. For traffic you need the "FS2004 RAF Wildenrath Full AI Package" by Chris Brown and Menno van den Boogaard.
viper810

Post by viper810 »

Thanks. To bad i only play is FS9
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Hi everybody,

sorry for delay, but we were off for a week holiday.
Thank you all for answers and suggestions.

@ Bora: Yes, I am working hardly on a RAF Bruggen Redu_X version, so hardly means fighting for the spare time to realize it.

@ Henk: Thank you very much for offer. I would like to prefere John Young's superb Phantom because it is a native FSX. I know about all your painting art on them, and using JY's models means to get the best of both worlds (Thank you, Van Halen 8) ) - model and paint.

@ Steve: Thank you for your explanation. Indeed, the RWR seems to be a minor conspicuity to me in comparison of the models general view. To be honest, I was tempted to station Henks great 19 and 43Sqn at Bruggen.

Yesterday, I found a pic of the FGR2 XT900 visiting RAF Gutersloh in 1976, working for the 31Sqn, having a RWR at her fin.
http://sg-etuo.de/media/xdb/XT900_23-2- ... tze_tb.jpg
Due to the owner's copyright, I hope it is okay to set a link...Indeed, she had a short area at Bruggen (for the 14Sqn as well), but if possible, she would be my favourite for a tribute at RAF Bruggen_X....

The dream which I had was seeing all stationed workhorses at Bruggen, the Phanties, the Jags and finally the Tonkas at the same time. This traffic would be a biggie! But there is only one fine Jag model for FSX, the French ED Aviation. Not sure, if there is a paint kit for it. I know about the great Tonkas from here, also with the canopy fix. They will do a good job for Bruggen. What never could happen in the past may be come true in FSX....

Henk, I would more than appreciate it if you could do the XT900 for me. It is not needed to have a complete Squadron fleet, but maybe one 14Sqn and 31Sqn as an Easter Egg.

Thank you all again for suggestions...
Regards, Manfred.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Manfred, I am not sure I have seen the ED Aviation Jag, but is it that much better than Nick Blacks AI? For that a paint kit exists (model and paint kit here in the hangar).
Due to the amount of AI I also would prefer the FSX Phantom from John.
The Tornados will do fine in FSX.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Manfred, I added JY model XT900 (31 Sqn) and and XV429 (14 Sqn). I also updated the other retro schemes I did before (improved the decals etc). Here is the link to the 7 retro paints update:

https://app.box.com/s/qszvo2ye4vl5mdm28re8

About the Jag: In theory Eric Dantes version is more frame rate friendly (it uses only 23 draw calls vs. 34 with Nick Black's) but I do not really see much difference in the sim. I prefer Nick's Jag because the Eric Dantes Jag is a French model without the RAF laser nose and the canopy is not animated.
Last edited by hschuit on 21 Nov 2016, 16:01, edited 3 times in total.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Would some additional Hunters and Canberras be completely out of place, Manfred?

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Henk, you made my day, mate! Thanks a lot for those great repaints.

Those models look so much better than lots of flyable ones...

@ Henk and Martin:
Shame on me, the Ed Aviation Jags are FS9 models actually! So using Nick Black's birds is a good option. What about UKMILs Jag's? There is a pack for the FS9 Bruggen scenery but I don't know how they fit in FSX?

@ Martin: Regarding the Canberras and Hunters: Why not? What models and paints would you do prefer?
Regards, Manfred.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Just took a look at the UKMIL AI Jag, I would not use it. The MDL is FS9, uses 43 draw calls and does not look as good as Nick Blacks Jag.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

John has made both the Canberras and the Hunters as true FSX models, Manfred.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Cheers,
Martin
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Yes, Martin. But couldn't find some Bruggen repaints. Those models would fit excellent....
@Henk: Thank you. So it would be a good choice.
Regards, Manfred.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Me neither, Manfred. We need to ask our great painters here. It would add so much eye candy to your Bruggen base.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin