The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Texture problem help please.

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Texture problem help please.

Post by col1948 »

I am using FSRepaint as my editor, I do have DXT plus PSPv7 but to be honest I struggle with PSP lol.
So my problem, I was editing an aircraft texture and there is a reg number on the wing, but the texture I'm editing doesn't show it, if I try and go over it it seems it is underneath so I'm presuming it is a layer.
So I went in PSP and tried to see if I could see another layer but I'm lost there, I went on all kinds of menus but to be honest I'm lost on this program.
I could forget it and use another aircraft but seeing as I have this problem I would like to know how to do it for if it come up again, so any help appreciated.

The AC is CIS AN-24 by the way, I downloaded a few textures and they all seem to have this hidden layer for the wings. :?:

Col.
maiden757
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Texture problem help please.

Post by maiden757 »

I know nothing about FS repainter being a PSP7 user so lets start from scratch. Are you editing an existing BMP or using the AN-24s PK.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

Col it wont be a layer if you are working within FSRepaint as it doesnt support layers, i would highly suggest trying to get your head around a basic image editor that supports layers ie PSP7, its as basic as it gets reallly, you are limited within FSRepaint im afraid!!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi, Yes editing an existing bmp, as you can see from the pics it had a reg on the wings but not showing on bmp texture.
Attachments
an2 wings.jpg
an24 bmp.jpg
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Col Are there any other files in that folder that could have the Serial on?

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
maiden757
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by maiden757 »

What Mark said. I'll have a look at that paint now if I have it
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Col have a look in the prop_CIS_AN24B.bmp texture! you will find it there! its actually in the Alpha Channel..

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Mark, will look now thanks mate.
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Great! I did it, thanks again, I looked there as well but never thought of the Alpha channel.

Col.
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

@ Mark Tranquil, I do keep looking a PSP and may be my age but I seem to get lost, some things I would like to do is the curves and swirls instead of strait lines or no lines at all.
I must try harder.
maiden757
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by maiden757 »

If you want some advice with psp I'd be glad to help col. It's actually pretty straightforward. I use it because I have no idea how to do the same stuff in photoshop!
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

As Ross says Col, if you need guidance then we can help! you are so limited is FSRepaint..

much thanks

Mark
Image Image
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I hit another problem with this:
I finished the texture, loaded it in to FS then as the engines started it had square props, the props are the texture I edited, I copied and pasted the original prop texture back in and sent it to PSP, I opened the alpha channel and blacked out the numbers on the wing, saved it and then went back and started FS.
Problem solved I thought, no square props but the numbers were on the wings still, so when I blacked them out and saved I mustn't have done it properly, where did I go wrong?

Col.
maiden757
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by maiden757 »

what size is the prop bmp
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It sounds like you haven't saved it in the correct format.
I looked at the original and I have An-24 props in 16 and 24 bit bmp but the crucial thing is that you have to save it with the alpha intact. I suspect that you haven't.

What might be easier is to use DXTBmp to save the alpha separately. Then load the alpha into PSP and amend that and save it and then load that into the original image to replace the alpha, again using DXTBmp.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

@ Ross, The prop BMP is 33KB

@Steve, I opened the file with DXTBmp then sent the Alpha to PSP, edited it in PSP and saved it, I got the circular props back but also the text on the wing which I wanted to get rid of.
I'm thinking when I edited it in PSP and saved it, I presumed it was saved in FS because I didn't move it or anything.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK well you proved that the process works. So the amended alpha has the numbers removed? Now because it is an alpha you have to be very careful. Alpha are designed to have one colour as transparent, that is one absolute RGB number accurate. If the alpha background is 255,255,255 and your amended text is 255,255,254 the reg will still show.

What I tend to do is colour pick the transparent colour rather than assume it is pure black. See if that helps.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

@ Steve, Sorry to drag this on I didn't mean to, I wanted to get rid of the reg/numbers on the wing, when I first did it I edited the file in FSrepaint, that seemed to work but when I went to view the aircraft in the sim, the numbers were gone but I had square props.
So it was back the drawing board, this time I did as I said above I edited the alpha in PSP, got the props back but also the numbers which I didn't want.
I'll keep trying and see if I hit on it.
maiden757
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by maiden757 »

I'd seriously try and learn PSP7 as working with layerless BMPs is a royal pain in the arse especially trying to work with an alpha. Are you actually repainting the aircraft from scratch. If so I have the PK I can send you configured for ease of use in PSP