The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Chrome and shine

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
johnnyjolly
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Chrome and shine

Post by johnnyjolly »

Hello everybody,
First post here and need advice please.

I've been playing around with the Fusi BO-105 as an AI ship, however on texturing and trying to add transparency to the glass, the model now appears from a distance as all chrome with reflections, as I slew closer the paint appears sort of. I used photoshop to create a transparent layer for the cockpit glass. I tried to convert the main fuselage to DDS in model converter to see if that would help - no joy. Any ideas please?
Attachments
East-105.jpg
East-105-2.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Chrome and shine

Post by John Young »

Welcome to the forum johnnjolly and may you have a productive and enjoyable time here.

The amount of reflection on the fuselage and the glass, is in the first instance controlled by the material settings in the model. The secondary factor is the depth of grey in the alpha channel in the .bmp or .dds texture that's in the texture folder. As a first try, did you export the alpha channel from the original texture(s) and import them into your textures?

If that doesn't tame the chrome and reflections, try reducing the depth of the alpha channel to near white. You might need several goes at it.

John
johnnyjolly
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Re: Chrome and shine

Post by johnnyjolly »

Many thanks for your welcome and advice John. I've a steep learning curve coming I think!