The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Prtugal C-130 repaints question

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Prtugal C-130 repaints question

Post by Joseph29 »

I am installing the new Portugal C-130 paints and in the H model folder there are 2 folders with -AO at the end. Is there a difference between the 2?

The folders are named

texture.16803
texture.16803-AO
texture.16805
texture.16803-AO

edit: The H-30's have the extra -AO folders the same way the H's have.
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Prtugal C-130 repaints question

Post by jimrodger »

Hi

John Young probably (definitely!!) knows a lot more about it than me but here goes my thoughts....

The AO layer is (I believe) primarily used in P3D to add contrast in shadows. eg Under the wing roots, around the undercarriage sponsons.

For FS9 I found it created a more "used" look to the aircraft, however in some paint schemes I found it was a bit overpowering.

For the Portuguese repaints I was checking to see the difference between with and without and left both in by mistake.

Hope this makes sense.

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Nearly Jim. The AO layer (Ambient Occlusion) is created in a graphics package (XNormal) by taking the model itself and shining light at it, usually from a semi spherical source over the top of the aircraft. It has the effect of creating shadows, eg as you say, around the wing roots, under the Hstabs and other lumps and bumps. It also creates shading generally around the fuselage and over and under the wings.

When first applied, this layer in the 24 bit texture master, has an opacity level of 100%, which is always too heavy. All you have to do is decrease the level, usually to around 30-40% or lower, until you have the result you want depending on how light or dark the airframe paint is.

The layer of course gets amalgamated with all the other layers when you convert the 24 bit master to the FS texture. It works with all sim versions, not just P3Dv4.

John
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by jimrodger »

Thanks John,hadn't thought about lowering the opacity, I do it for other layers just totally ignored it for the AO.....doh!!!!!

Many Thanks

Jim

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"