The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

P3D texture sizes

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

P3D texture sizes

Post by jimrodger »

I've noticed that some recent repaints for P3D have included 2048x2048 .dds textures.

Normally I rescale down to 1024x1024 for both .bmp & .dds.

I'm still very much on the learning curve for both repaints & P3D.

Would it be beneficial to include the 2048x2048 .dds textures as part of any of my repaint packages?

If so, I'm happy to go back over recent repaints and reproduce the 2048x2048 textures and release as a large package.

Hope everyone is staying safe & healthy

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: P3D texture sizes

Post by hschuit »

Jim, P3Dv4 can easily handle 2048 pix for AI models, no need to worry about the extra memory footprint. P3D 32bit versions and FSX can handle 2048 pix but there is always the risk of running out of VAS. Not sure but I think FS9 cannot handle anything larger than 1024 pix. Right now I am painting a couple of MKAI M-346 Hatzerim Lavi's using a 2048 pix paintkit and I tested the large textures in P3Dv4.5 and they look very good.

Henk.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

You are correct in that FS9 can't handle 2048.

What i would say is that it is easy to size down, whatever sim you use, but you can't scale up w/o introducing errors.
As everybody knows I can't use paint packages but I can easily resize the bmps.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

You need to be careful of flight lines of many aircraft, all with 2048 textures on them. As they come into view you may get a large stutter. A few specimen aircraft should be fine. The file size will increase by a factor of 4, so not good news for bandwidth.

FSX can handle 2048 textures if you change the default TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 setting to 2048 in the FSX.cfg file. However, if you change your scenery complexity settings, the value will revert to 1024. P3Dv4 retains 2048 even if you change those settings.

John