The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Working with .psd files

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
Nunner
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Working with .psd files

Post by Nunner »

Hi guys
I have dxt convertor and fsrepaint.
Painting is not new to me but recently I have started to paint,or try to in FSX.
Getting very frustrated when trying to use a .psd file.
Is there an actual tutorial in useingvand converting these files. I have read all sorts of part tutorials but none that start and finish.
When I end up with a .dds file it ends up with either no textures at all or shows up in the actual folder as the paint that came with the pad?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Nunner
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Working with .psd files

Post by John Young »

Hi Nunner and welcome to the forum.

.psd files are graphics files that consist of a number of separate layers, especially those that come from paint kits. Are you able to open such a file and manipulate the individual layers with fsrepaint, or with whatever graphics program you are using?

If yes, what is the specific problem you are experiencing - tell us the process you are working through and the point at which you get stuck and we will try and move you on.

John
Nunner
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Nunner »

Hi John
Thanks for the reply.
As an example i downloaded the Todd Bolgrin Piper Seneca for Fsx.
Included In that download is a Paintkit .Psd file and I can't seem to convert that file and then paint it or use it.
What I'm looking for is a step by step as to what I do with that .psd file or any other similar file that would then allow me to paint it. Usually all I get is a model with no textures or the textures from the repaint that he included in that folder.
Cheers
Ian
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ian, you really need to answer the fundamental question I posed - are you able to open a .Psd file and manipulate the individual layers with fsrepaint? I suspect not and you may need to use a different paint program. .Psd is a Photoshop format, but that's extremely expensive. Many people use Paint Shop Pro or Gimp. Both will open and allow editing of .Psd files.

Once you have done your repaint, you save the .Psp file as a .bmp file (which will merge the layers), re-sizing from the .Psp file if necessary.

You then load that file into DxtBmp and add the alpha channel for the "glass".

Next you flip the image and the alpha vertically and save as a Dxt5 texture for FSX.

John
Nunner
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Nunner »

Thanks very much John I have downloaded Gimp which looks very interesting so I will give that a try and per your instruction.
Much appreciated and very impressed with what you guys do.
Cheers
Ian