The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Three questions...

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
james84

Three questions...

Post by james84 »

Look at this photo :!:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Ma ... 1578827/L/

1) Is it a recon version of the F-18? :?:
2) If so, is Nick developing this version too? :roll:
3) Does anyone feel like repainting it? :D
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

looking at some older pictures it seems they had this paint scheme before, it would be pretty tuff to paint but it is do able.
maverick69
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by maverick69 »

1) yes, it is. it's name is F/A-18D(RC) and is equipped with ATARS unit. this unit is interchangeable with the gun ammunition magazine.
crashtruckchuck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crashtruckchuck »

This is a bit of a coincidence, I was talking to a friend who sent me that same picture and remarked how that would look kinda cool flying around, I had some time at work yesterday and decided to play around a little bit. It's not completely finished, nor is it perfect but what do you think?

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Good enough! :wink:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Awesome job man! Very nice Bengal Bug
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
james84

Post by james84 »

Thumbs up!
crashtruckchuck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Thanks! I have done up a few more for VMFA-224(AW) and a few for VFA-86 with the NH tail code. (i'm missing a few BuNos, but still on the hunt for them) I'm not sure as to the policies for sharing repaints, or if there are MAIW projects for these in the works but, I'll probably have these all painted and coated over the weekend. If it's ok with the powers that be I would be willing to share. I'm trying to get every flying squadron on the east coast flying around in my own little piece of the simulator world. I'm sure you all understand.
james84

Post by james84 »

crashtruckchuck wrote:Thanks! I have done up a few more for VMFA-224(AW) and a few for VFA-86 with the NH tail code. (i'm missing a few BuNos, but still on the hunt for them) I'm not sure as to the policies for sharing repaints, or if there are MAIW projects for these in the works but, I'll probably have these all painted and coated over the weekend. If it's ok with the powers that be I would be willing to share. I'm trying to get every flying squadron on the east coast flying around in my own little piece of the simulator world. I'm sure you all understand.
Have you checked on Airliners.net and Airfighters.com?
Here is what comes out if you look for "vfa-86"...
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... 86&submit=

... and "vmfa-224"
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... q=VMFA-224
crashtruckchuck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

James, Thanks for the links. I have done that search many many times myself and came up with the same results. I kinda hold hope that "maybe next time there will be something new". I've checked those references against the Scramble.nl website and the Joe Baugher website. There are alot of BuNos out there for the same aircraft, it just comes down to trying to get the most recent picture to compare or get the most recent number from someone who has access. I don't want to but, if I have to I will just use the BuNos from other A/C that have filled the billet, those that are older models and those that have gone the way of AMARC. Again though, I've been kinda just doing this for my own amusement and pleasure. So I personally don't care if it's the exact number. I'm been using only one or two paints per squadron anyway.
james84

Post by james84 »

You're welcome! I use only one repaint too, using too much would kill my framerates, and this way I save a lot of HD space.