The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

What a day! (RAAF/Omega 707s)

Feel free to post your best military aviation photos in this forum. Attaching photos will not be allowed, they must be linked to a third party site to be accepted.
Dark Morelia
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

What a day! (RAAF/Omega 707s)

Post by Dark Morelia »

It was announced some months ago that the RAAF's recently retired 707 tankers were being sold to Omega Air Refueling. Since then, work on getting them airworthy has been going on slowly, but now they're finally ready!

I visited RAAF Richmond yesterday afternoon, and thought I was in luck because both ex- A20-624 and A20-629 (now N624RH and N629RH) were on the flightline, with 629 being fuelled. Unfortunately, 'twas not to be, perhaps it got too late. It did give me a chance to snap a coupla pics through the chain-link (and trying to dodge the Callistemon bushes planted all down the fenceline, airside.)
Excuse the heat haze, it was pretty warm!
Image Image

Today, we pulled up and noticed the engine covers were off and there was a lot of activity around the 'seven-ohs'. While we were waiting, the third one went past under tow back to the 'corrosion control facility' and I heard the tug tell the tower that they were "trying to get this one flying this afternoon too, we just need to do some checks". So it looked like all three would be flying today!
Sure enough, before long I heard 'Boeing 703' receive airways clearance, and then a short while later 'Omega 74' also received clearance. Then came engine start for 624, and I'd forgotten just how whiny they are!
I didn't even take any photos of the takeoff, not that they would have been any good anyway. I had goosebumps on my goosebumps, and all my limbs had turned to jelly.

Shortly after, 629 started engines and taxied out, but unfortunately taxi shots proved impossible through the fence and bushes, so I snapped her just as she cleared the fence.

We then moved to the end of the runway in anticipation of them returning. They weren't gone too long, maybe 20 minutes, and soon enough 624 returned, flying overhead the airfield and descending.

Then the unexpected happened. I lost sight of her but was listening to her receiving vectors from Sydney Radar, and it sounded an awful lot like she was coming around to land on the opposite runway. I've heard aircraft use RWY28 with a slight tailwind instead of RWY10 before, perhaps they prefer to use 28's ILS.
Anyway, next I heard she was 'established' and a quick look through the binocs showed her lined up, flaps and gear down. So we hoofed it to the other end of the runway, only to find out it was a missed approach! So we turned around and started hoofing it back, but didn't get there in time :cry: At least now we knew to stay there for 629's approach.

A little while later, 629 made a straight-in visual approach to RWY10.
Unfortunately there are some buildings under the approach path, right across the road from the boundary fence (dunno whose brilliant idea that was!) so she was almost overhead by the time she cleared the buildings.

To give you an idea just how low she went over us, this was shot at 70mm, uncropped.

Everyone else had their fingers in their ears, but mine were busy working the camera... suffice to say my ears were hurting afterwards!

We went and grabbed a quick bite to eat, then scouted out a new area to watch from. Found an awesome spot on the other side of the field with some big mounds of dirt that would elevate us clear of the fence.
Shortly after arriving at our new spot, we heard 'Boeing 623' proceeding under tow to the lines. Then we waited. And waited. Waited more than an hour, and finally heard 'Omega 73' on Ground frequency... only to tell Ground that they'd probably be another hour. After more waiting, we finally heard 'Omega 73' ready to receive clearance! Airways clearance was issued, and then after another 20 minutes, engine start and taxi clearance.

So I scrambled up the mound and got her taxiing.

She pulled up right across from us, and reported 'ready'.

Then came takeoff clearance, and the goose-bump-raising spool up and takeoff roll.

Rotate!

Climbout:

She was gone a little bit longer than the first two, and I was shooting into the sun somewhat for her approach, but I liked how this shot turned out:

And finally, touchdown. Well on one bogey, anyway.

I've since read that two may be departing for good tomorrow (Sunday) and the other on Monday. Dunno if I'll be able to get down there to see them leave, but I hope so.

Hope you enjoyed! :)
All up: 208 photos. I think Mum was videoing on her camera. Dunno how they turned out yet, but if they're good I might upload those too.
Drew >>

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: What a day! (RAAF/Omega 707s)

Post by campbeme »

Good pics and a interesting story there too.

Thanks Drew

Mark
Mark
fishlips

Re: What a day! (RAAF/Omega 707s)

Post by fishlips »

Great pic's Drew.
Sad to see these old girls leaving Richmond for the last time!

20-30 years ago the fence line along Windsor Street (running the length of the runway) never had any tree's along it and was perfect for taking photo's. There were always car's and trucks parked along the road edge close to the fence taking photos. There were no homes or buildings of any type back then along the road, either side.

The A330-200 MRTT (KC-30) will replace them and based at Amberley for the time being.

Mark G