The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Military Connection

Feel free to post your best military aviation photos in this forum. Attaching photos will not be allowed, they must be linked to a third party site to be accepted.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Military Connection

Post by Garysb »

Had some time to kill in Lincoln recently so had time to visit the Cathedral and the RAF Chapel
In memory of those who did not return

I only live 25 miles away for over 30 years and have never been inside before, scanderlous

Edit Link added
http://lincolncathedral.com/

Regards

Gary
Last edited by Garysb on 10 Aug 2013, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
dk1213
Major
Major

Re: Military Connection

Post by dk1213 »

Wow, just beautiful. Its my lifelong dream to go to to England, I hope I get there before I die to see the world's nicest architecture. Try to find a church like that in the US lol. That's why they call them churches here and not cathedrals. :)
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by delbydoo »

Thanks for posting those Gary. For all the time I have lived in Lincolnshire I've never been INSIDE the cathedral, must get around to doing that one day. Looks very peaceful and it's a fitting tribute.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by delbydoo »

dk1213 wrote:That's why they call them churches here and not cathedrals. :)
A cathedral is where a Bishop has his seat, thus making the church a Cathedral and the centre of the diocese. But then they go and confuse matters by calling certain others a Minster (e.g. York, Westminster) which means that they have a basis as a monastery. And it usually goes that the town hosting a Cathedral then becomes a City.......which is why St. Davids in Wales is the smallest city in the world. Just some useless info for a saturday morning.
Hope you make it over one day Dan, you'll love it here!
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

That was educational Daryl .... I was being facetious stating my obvious preference for everything UK, especially the women, I hope to find my future wife there (i am holding out here in the US and keeping things casual lol) and I am planning on getting there early next year. The most expensive and hardest part of the whole plan is just getting there. Once I am actually in England, I plan on staying and finding a place and all that. Its gonna happen, this has been in my head for a couple years now. Where there is a will there is a way!
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

Watching the investiture of a the new Bishop of Haderslev this spring, I was surprised to learn that there's an armed forces chapel attached to that cathedral. As I understand it, it's mainly due to the post-1920's presence of Danish armed forces in southern jutland (Air force at Skrydstrup, Army at Sønderborg). It's not as extravagant as the one at Lincoln, but at least it's there.
I only live 25 miles away for over 30 years and have never been inside before, scanderlous
I know the feeling. Grew up in Roskilde, but never actually went to the cathedral there until I moved away (in my defense, I lived outside the cathedral's parish and went to services in my local church ;) ). 12th century brick gothic cathedral that replaced 2-3 previous churches, burial place of 20 Danish monarchs since the 10th century (Harald Bluetooth started the trend in 986, allegedly), and a UNESCO World Heritage site.