The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Piacenza San Damiano

Feel free to post your best military aviation photos in this forum. Attaching photos will not be allowed, they must be linked to a third party site to be accepted.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Piacenza San Damiano

Post by bismarck »

sprocky
Major
Major

Re: Piacenza San Damiano

Post by sprocky »

Wow, it's about 15 years back when I was there - Oct/Nov 1999. I'm getting old. :shock: The German Air Force had a shortage on technical staff and asked the Navy to provide some technicians. Stayed there for 28 days. When I reached there one Italian electrician working on the runway electrics had a fatal accident. :cry: The lawyers demanded every equipment to be switched off for about a week for investigation. You may know that it gets foggy there in late October. For a week almost no aircraft took off or landed. For us technicians it meant: go to the base in the morning, stay there for two or three hours and go back to the hotel. Yes, HOTEL!!! :D Plenty of hotels in that area got good money from the German government. What I did not like was that those hotels closed after some time to refurbish and when they opened again they did not extend the contract with the German Air Force. Anyway, I do remember a pizzaria where we were welcomed everyday - except for Monday when they where closed. Had 25 pizzas there and I still consider those as the best ones I ever had in my life! Why 25? Because one Monday they were open. It was the birthday of the owner. We did not pay a single Lira that day. He invited us and it was really crowded. The 4 weeks in Piacenza was one of the best things happened to me in my military times. I really enjoyed the times in Italy. I've also been two times in Decimomannu on Sardegna. Those times were good as well. But that's a different story. :smt002
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

25 pizzas in 28 days :?: :?: :?:
Oh man!!!
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

bismarck wrote:25 pizzas in 28 days :?: :?: :?:
Oh man!!!
You think that's too many? They were just toooo good and I did not say that I ordered the same pizza everyday :mrgreen:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
james84

Post by james84 »

Maybe it's because I'm Italian and I'm used to pizza, but having it everyday makes you want to have MEAT to compensate! And this applies especially if you deal with Neapolitan-style pizza, which has more dough and thicker edges!
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Thin pizzas they were. On the meat side: nomal lunch (including meat) and pizza for dinner :mrgreen: Don't ask me how I managed to keep 65kg at 1.8m. I simply don't know the reason.
Jan