The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

TBM avenger ride

Feel free to post your best military aviation photos in this forum. Attaching photos will not be allowed, they must be linked to a third party site to be accepted.
Flyin Illini
Major
Major
Version: FS9

TBM avenger ride

Post by Flyin Illini »

I had the honor of being asked to go on a ride in a combat veteran TBM Avenger flown by Linda Schumm. She is one of only TWO certified female Avenger pilots. And it was a privilidge. She is a great pilot and a great friend. Torpedo runs are the best! To take a quote from Linda, "its not who you know, its who knows you!" And that was nothing further from the truth this weekend. If you ever see them or the avenger at a show. Go up and say hi! They are very nice people and enjoy talking about the Avenger. Also, if you have facebook, they have a fan page for the TBM. Search: TBM Avenger, Inc and become a fan!

This is a pic of brad flying it before my flight:

My flight!

Torpedo run!

Landing:

Linda and I:

And Linda enjoying what she loves:

Thanks again Linda!
Phantoms Phorever!
N35W
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by N35W »

Sweet! You lucky dog.

That's a 1 once in a life time opportunity.

At one time in the past, there was a person that owned TBM based at KSMO. I was suprised how huge this plane is.

There used to be all kinds of classic aircraft here.

Flying Boxcar
Seafury
Coursair
Spitfire
Mustang

I don't see them anymore. I think they ran the people away for making too much noise.
Jeff
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Huge, but nimble. I was at an airshow at the Civilian Airfield (now called Songbird Field) in Killeen, Tx during the summer of '85, and one of these was there. At the end of the day, the pilot was ready to return to his home field, and he found himself on a rather crowded ramp. In order to be able to taxi out without waiting for other a/c to start up and move away, he goosed the engine while using differential braking, and acctually spun the big Avenger on a dime and casually taxied away. Learned a couple of things. 1) That thing has a very powerful engine, which, if you are close enough, can knock you on you ass with its prop wash, and 2) just cause it's been around since the forties doesn't mean that when the engine racks up quick, won't impress the hell out of you - fighters aren't the only a/c that can make your heart go pit-a-pat!

Ron
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

(this is me being EXTREMELY jealous) 8)
Flyin Illini
Major
Major

Post by Flyin Illini »

Hey des, i know something that may make you more jealous 8)
Phantoms Phorever!