The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Is this a KC-135?

Feel free to post your best military aviation photos in this forum. Attaching photos will not be allowed, they must be linked to a third party site to be accepted.
james84

Is this a KC-135?

Post by james84 »

Hello all,
today the weather was great so I spent some time spotting with my 55-250 lens.
I have seen 4 contrails from an aircraft flying eastbound over Rome and tried to take some pics of what looks like a KC-135 (check the black nose)

At the beginning I thought it could be an A340, but I checked on Flightradar24 if it was trackable and it wasn't.
Any idea?
BTW, here are today's best shots of the only two aircrafts I managed to spot while landing at Rome-CIA (cropped)

Last edited by james84 on 02 Apr 2011, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
LEBTowerGuy

Re: Is this a KC-135?

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

It almost looks like a 747, but its hard to tell through the grain. If you could sharpen up the grain, and adjust the contrast it might be easier to tell.
james84

Post by james84 »

Is this better? Sorry, I'm not very good at editing!
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

A little bit, it still looks more like a 747, if you want to PM the original I may be able to clean it up for you.
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

After playing with the pictures in photoshop I think you may be right, it does look a bit like a KC-135, after sharpening the middle photo, the tail boom appears slightly visible.
james84

Post by james84 »

LEBTowerGuy wrote:A little bit, it still looks more like a 747, if you want to PM the original I may be able to clean it up for you.
Wanna try? :mrgreen:
It was too far to get a good photo...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VMJC260K
bassiejj1994
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by bassiejj1994 »

On what time did you see it? SBS-1 shows more than one KC-135 around rome today.
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

I think you are definitely right, it is a KC-135, the tail boom is much more visible now, and even the beginnings of a tail splash.
Attachments
IMG_8200.JPG
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks!
BTW, how did you edit the photo?
james84

Post by james84 »

bassiejj1994 wrote:On what time did you see it? SBS-1 shows more than one KC-135 around rome today.
Late afternoon, around 6-7pm... don't remember the exact time though, I didn't copy the photos on the HD, they are still on the memory card!
Anyway, I posted the same message and photo on an Italian site and somebody involved in the military said it might also be an RC-135, and he said there was actually one buzzing over Rome last Sunday!
james84

Post by james84 »

Confirmed, it is a KC.
The guy I told you before said it could be this very aircraft, a Mildenhall-based one
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Ai ... 1569922/L/

An RC-135 was in the area too.
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

james,
I used photoshop to adjust the contrast, colors, and sharpness of the image to get the final product.
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks, I got to learn how to use this!
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

looks like an rc-135....
Barry