The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

A newbie question

The Tutorials forum section is the place where you can learn the various techniques that go into the creation of AI traffic packages.
edakridge
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

A newbie question

Post by edakridge »

I am just learning how to write AI flight plans using AIFP v3.2. I have read enough here to learn that to make a waypoint I must build a "Fake" airport with a tiny runway. I set my waypoints at altitudes ranging from 8000 ft msl to 11000 ft msl. I have done this with several waypoints and have been experimenting. The issue (or question) that I am having is there a way to limit the amount of time that the AI aircraft spends circling the waypoint attempting to do a TNG? It seems that they get "Hung Up' circling the waypoint.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: A newbie question

Post by Firebird »

Welcome.

Can I ask is the problem that the aircraft doesn't actually make an approach at the waypoint or that the aircraft does but doesn't leave the waypoint to return home?

If the problem is the first one then the issue is the size of the fake runway, so it's an afcad issue. If it is the second then it's a flightplan issue. If you could post your flightplan then we can help you out.
You say that you are experimenting so I assume that it is a simple plan, but if not it would help if you point us the problem part of the plan.
Steve
edakridge
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by edakridge »

The aircraft definitely try an approach! Over and Over, ETC. LOL
Here is one flight plan:

AC#17,,35%,6Hr,IFR,01:30,TNG02:25,200,F,0034,3SWP,02:30,03:22,250,F,0032,OR0Q

I have done each aircraft the same way. Departure,waypoint,destination. I have read here somewhere that the flight plan will not work properly if you plan it from Departure to wp1,wp2,wp3,etc to arrival so I limited each plan to one waypoint. I am attaching a copy of one of my waypoint "Afcads" in case that is the problem. The runway dimensions are: 0.7 feet width by 4 feet length. Thanks for your reply and any additional help.
AF2_1SWP.bgl
(454 Bytes) Downloaded 71 times
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK well if they make approaches then we can rule out the afcads.

Now, from a quick look at the plan I can see what I think is happening. The TNG leg will continue until the next leg time. HOWEVER, it will not wait for the next leg. It sort of loses track of the next leg and will continue on the TNG leg ad infinitum.

We use TNG legs all the time but in the early days we realised the issue and a fix was found.

What we found was that if the difference between the two legs was 5 mins plus then it would fail to move to the next leg. We also found that if the two times were identical then that caused problems. So the solution is to have a difference of 3 mins between the TNG leg and the full stop leg. This allowed for any differences in the seconds between txt time and the compiled time.

In your example I would try altering the second leg from 02:30 to 02:28 and I think that this will work.

Unless I have completely got the problem wrong.

Try that and let us know how you get on.
Steve
edakridge
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by edakridge »

Thanks, will do!
edakridge
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by edakridge »

OK! That seems to have been the issue. The aircraft now makes two attempts and then continues on. I really do thank you for your help! I have been struggling with this for two days before asking for help. :D
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem.
Its nice to be able to help somebody that has had a go themselves, and even nicer to be able to fix it.
Steve