The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF mildenhall

The Tutorials forum section is the place where you can learn the various techniques that go into the creation of AI traffic packages.
scoredcurtis
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

RAF mildenhall

Post by scoredcurtis »

Hi I'm new to fsx so I'm sorry for any stupid questions, I have downloaded RAF lakenheath and it's amazing even though I'm only using the basic aircraft that fsx provide

How would I get to actually fly f15 with LN Markings?

And also where can I downloaded RAF mildenhall from to add to scenery like I have with RAF lakenheath?

Thanks for any help
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: RAF mildenhall

Post by david.harwood »

Hi,

I use the old freeware IRIS F-15C which you can get from most flight sim websites. The VC isn't too bad but it looks great on the outside at the amazing Lakenheath scenery! The payware IRIS F-15E and MILVIZ F-15 also both come in LN markings.

I use the FS9 MAIW Mildenhall V2 scenery updated to FSX which works ok on my machine!
scoredcurtis
Cadet
Cadet

Post by scoredcurtis »

david.harwood wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 17:42 Hi,

I use the old freeware IRIS F-15C which you can get from most flight sim websites. The VC isn't too bad but it looks great on the outside at the amazing Lakenheath scenery! The payware IRIS F-15E and MILVIZ F-15 also both come in LN markings.

I use the FS9 MAIW Mildenhall V2 scenery updated to FSX which works ok on my machine!

I downloaded the f15 from iris but not the one with LN markings I will look for it unless you have a link? and I believe I added the AI for lakenheath as well but it doesn't show anything
scoredcurtis
Cadet
Cadet

Post by scoredcurtis »

ive tried searching for mildenhall v2 but nothing comes up on maiw
C-130H
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by C-130H »

scoredcurtis wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 21:27 ive tried searching for mildenhall v2 but nothing comes up on maiw
Try this.
http://www.militaryaiworks.com/download ... mildenhall

Hope this helps. Its over on Owls Nest.
http://www.owlsnest.eu/maiw.php
:D
Place enough force behind a brick and it will fly!
scoredcurtis
Cadet
Cadet

Post by scoredcurtis »

i have downloaded mildenhall thank you! but I don't get why mildenhall coningsby and marham look all the same just like desert colour and no scenery but lakeneath is so detailed it looks real life?? also I cant see any of the AI planes parked up or flying
scoredcurtis
Cadet
Cadet

Post by scoredcurtis »

for example on the read me file it says about folders saying scenery and effects but I don't have them in any folders when I downloaded the bases and that's been for every base
scoredcurtis
Cadet
Cadet

Post by scoredcurtis »

would the textures not be working because I'm using fsxse and not fs9 or fs2004
C-130H
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by C-130H »

You are welcome! I'm not 100% certain, but FSXSE could be an issue. I am using FSX Deluxe Edition. No issues on my install, all textures are there. From what you are describing perhaps the scenery/texture folders aren't in the correct location. I don't have steam edition, not really sure what to tell you as far as which way to go. Look at successful scenery installs you have and look at how the folders installed with their scenery/texture, compared to the Mildenhall V2 install. It seems like your scenery/textures might not have installed correctly.
Place enough force behind a brick and it will fly!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't know if this will help, but this is the structure of my Mildenhall texture folder in FSX:

Remember to add the area to the FSX scenery library.

For AI aircraft to show, you must have the relevant traffic file in FSX\scenery\world\scenery and the traffic sliders must be across to the right in FSX settings. You must not have any FS9-formatted traffic files in the folder or that will kill all traffic within the catchment area. If there's any doubt you can scan your FSX installation with AI Flight Planner to find any culprits. This is the link:

http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE

You must of course have the aircraft present in your FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes folder.

Let us know if you need more information.

John
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Foxbat »

I redid Mildenhall today for FSX/P3D4.

Scenery was slow at first. So I used McX to convert all the model libraries to FSX. Then took the afcad into ADE, made new exludes (threw away the original ones in the scenery folder). Had to reduce aprons to below 256 before I was able to export. Then threw the original VTPP and VTPX or what called files. Was no need to make new flatten or LC as FTX Global/Vectors seems to fit.

Then I (as I often have to do), decompiled the apron lighting placement file, and adjusted the altitude above apron from 0,0M to 0,05M to kill flickering. I have done the same for MAIW Pax River, Elmendorf, etc.

Lastly, I recompiled the traffic file. All planes black in the AIFP list thanks to the new MAIW Conversions, plus my own MGAI KC-135R conversion.

I do have a fast and pleasant Mildenhall now :smt003
Andrew
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Foxbat wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 19:49 I redid Mildenhall today for FSX/P3D4.

Scenery was slow at first. So I used McX to convert all the model libraries to FSX. Then took the afcad into ADE, made new exludes (threw away the original ones in the scenery folder). Had to reduce aprons to below 256 before I was able to export. Then threw the original VTPP and VTPX or what called files. Was no need to make new flatten or LC as FTX Global/Vectors seems to fit.

Then I (as I often have to do), decompiled the apron lighting placement file, and adjusted the altitude above apron from 0,0M to 0,05M to kill flickering. I have done the same for MAIW Pax River, Elmendorf, etc.

Lastly, I recompiled the traffic file. All planes black in the AIFP list thanks to the new MAIW Conversions, plus my own MGAI KC-135R conversion.

I do have a fast and pleasant Mildenhall now :smt003
sounds like a lot of work....will you package this lot up for others?
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Not so much work, as I'm used to it being the developer of the "Airports of Norway" package. I know what to do, and this conversion took me an hour or two. I already have permission for Patuxent River (not perfect but very enjoyable), and will ask for permission to upload Elmendorf AB and Mildenhall AB as well. Cause it ain't fun if I cant share this with you guys. These sceneries are for P3D4 only for now, as that's my main sim, the other one being Aerofly FS2.

If any of you can tip me if I can also export the afcads for FSX with my current ADE version, please tell me how. I do use the FSX SDK as well for gmax compability.
Andrew
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Andrew...wish i had those skills...i used to tinker a lot with sceneries....a few years back i planted grass all over mildenhall v2 but was for fsx...had a system drive failure and lost all the work. i now use p3d and have just started getting back to reinstalling stuff..latest being the acg twin bases along with johns latest a-10's and appropriate repaints.
I'm trying to get my head around modifying the afx file to get some military hummers patrolling the airfield similar to the Edwards package...but time isn't my own....hoping one day ian who did the twin bases for bentwaters will allow the ground objects like trucks and tankers and the Humvees that are in the old lizard and camo to be made movable.

all the best

Trev
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Trev,

Finished with the conversion. I have Herc's, KC-135R's, A10's now and then (from Alconbury I guess) and other visitors. I use about all the stuff from John. Made batch files yesterday and converted everything to dxt1 or dxt5 in a flash, taking care to make the dxt3's dxt5 to keep gradient alphas. So now my next step is to ask permission to upload this, if MAIW not are ahead of me :-)
Andrew
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Andrew...well done on all your work....hoping the guys here approve the upload as soon as possible.
Will you be including the converted KC-135's as well....as my black and wheel free ones look annoying.

All the best

Trev
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Is there any way I can get in contact with Tony Dalton? I have this excellent scenery ready for P3D4. I've also have my converted KC-135R's ready but one step for now - the scenery.

PS... Trev... yes I know those black thingies and planes without wheels. I converted the MGAI KC-135R around 20 times before I was happy and de-frustrated 8)
Andrew
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'd very much like to have available a good scenery of RAF Mildenhall that can be used in P3Dv4. It's one of a number of airfields that will potentially accommodate AI V-22 Ospreys in FSX native code. I have Tony Dalton's RAF Mildenhall V2 working in P3Dv4, having run 6 or so of his object files through MCX to put them in the right format.

One option is to direct users to the Mildenhall V2 download and ask them to convert the files as I did.

The second option is to contact Tony to see if he would allow me to include the converted files with my potential AI package. Unfortunately, like Andrew, I can't find a way to do that.

The third option is to ask what happened to Andrew's "excellent scenery" mentioned in the previous post? I assume that's Mildenhall based on Tony's original work?

Was it finalised and made available?

John
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

Hi Andrew,

I trust this is what you are asking about.

There is a "fix" from Scruffyduck as how to have ADE work for sims you don't have installed on your PC, at this link:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threa ... ed.438858/

Brian
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Hi Guys,

I got a tip about Tony from a forum member here, but it seems those accounts have not been active for a long time, so sorry to say I cannot share Mildenhall.

Brian:

I've decided to not mess with my P3D system by exporting FSX SDK afcads. Also I'm not really shure if an afcad exported with the P3D SDK works fine with FSX or not. Others have to test this. I use the FSX SDK only because of gmax.
Andrew