The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Conversion of propeller blurre effect

The Tutorials forum section is the place where you can learn the various techniques that go into the creation of AI traffic packages.
YoYo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Conversion of propeller blurre effect

Post by YoYo »

I converted now FS9 model for P3Dv5 as AI. I have the problem with blurre of propeller after this (small issue but maybe I can improve it by MCX also?).

I noticed that blurre effect (after isolation, merge ect) is not on the right place on the one proppeler (not where the propeller blade is and after this animation looks strange):

Can I fix this? On the second engine is ok.

TY!
Last edited by YoYo on 15 Mar 2021, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Conversion of propeller blurre effect

Post by John Young »

Check that the direction of the pivot point is the same on both prop disks.

John
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Another issue I think is that the prop still animation (3 bladed prop part) is visible at the same time as the prop slow / prop blurred animations (semi transparent disks). You need to add visibility tags which make sure only the correct parts are shown for each rotation (rpm) phase. For AI models you can use the following visibility tags for all engines (AI does not discriminate between engine 1 and 2 rpm, they operate as a single engine):

prop0_still
prop0_slow
prop0_blurred
Last edited by hschuit on 15 Mar 2021, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
YoYo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by YoYo »

John Young wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 10:13 Check that the direction of the pivot point is the same on both prop disks.

John

Thx. Can I find this option in MCX? I don't see it.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Can't help with that I'm afraid. I don't use MCX for modelling. I'm sure Henk will know though.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

If "direction of the pivot point" means the rotation direction then you can check that with the MCX Hierarchy Editor:

- Find the disk part animation and open the Animation Editor by right-clicking on "Animation".
- Select "Edit Animation" which shows the keyframe steps (ususally 0 - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100 for props)
- Compare the keyframe step quaternion values of both disks.
- If they are different, edit the steps on the incorrectly animated disk to make it equal to the correct disk.
YoYo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by YoYo »

Thank You.
You guys are incredibly helpful in this forum !!! :smt007 This keeps me moving forward with my free project. :)
Ok, I checked this and for both looks the same. I started to think its the intended effect (then there would be no problem here), but maybe in fact, there shouldn't be the propeller (blades) itself on this effect (like its in post of hschuit). I dont see in the list of animation "prop0_slow" effect.

Maybe I actually have to hide the model of propeller blades when blurred effect is visible?

Here is the AI model what I convert and did new skins ect. (WIP stage).
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ukqvw3
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

YoYo wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 12:26 Maybe I actually have to hide the model of propeller blades when blurred effect is visible?
Yes, that was my point. I just checked your model and indeed the 3 bladed prop parts do not have the required visibility tag "prop0_still". You need to add that visibility tag which will hide these parts once the rpm increases from still to the blurred phase.

BTW: I noticed the model does not have slow phase disks but for AI that should not be an issue.

And: Always add visibility tags to the ModelPart itself, not to it's parent (empty) node.

Henk
YoYo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by YoYo »

Thx, yep, Im closer and closer. Now it looks like this - so fine. :)

The problem is, that between stop propeller and blurry effect I dont see rotating propellers now (so for beginning of taxi 10-15 seconds).

I did this (for each LOD):

hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Well, I thought AI does not need slow phase disks but it looks like I was wrong. The solution is to isolate the blurred disk parts, change the animation/visibility tags to prop0_slow and merge them back into the model. Isolating the blurred disk parts can be done by removing everything except the hierarchy tree with the blurred disk parts and then exporting that selection to a separate mdl file. This works best if you do it for each LOD separately. When I do a conversion from FS9, I start with deleting all LOD's except the highest and then start building the P3D model. Basically for P3D you only need 2 or 3 LOD's so I would convert the highest and the lowest separately and when they are ready you can merge them. If testing shows you need an extra LOD, you can extract one of the intermediate FS9 LODs, convert it and merge it with he P3D model.

Henk.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes, you definitely need "slow" disks with associated animation and visibility tags and pivot points in the direction for the correct rotation. British and American props tend to rotate in opposite directions. Bit like driving on the left and right, or the direction of rotation of water going down the plug hole in the north and southern hemispheres.

John
YoYo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by YoYo »

hschuit wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 15:06 Well, I thought AI does ....
Thank You :D . I did it as You described and now its a blurry effect (disc) after the start engines, but its ok! Perfect!

Can you advice any good smoke effect (fx) from pistion engines behind the plane? Id like to add it too. (edit: I added default fx_c130_smoke from P3Dv5, looks ok also).
Last edited by YoYo on 16 Mar 2021, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
YoYo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by YoYo »

I also did the new blurred affect for this AI and it started to look as it should ;).

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That looks much better.

Just in case it helps anyone, Paint Shop Pro has a very good radial blur tool. I take a screen shot of my still propellor and make sure it is cropped perfectly square and centred. I use two radial blur values, one at about 15 for the slow disk and the other at about 25 for the blurred disk.

John
YoYo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by YoYo »

Just one question (a little different subject).
I noticed that the model is a little to low on the ground:

and in MCX I noticed that contact points are far a way behind the model:

orginal
[contact_points]
point.0 = 1, 1.5, 0, -7.066, 1500, 0, 0.9, 90, 0.432, 0.652, 0.8, 4.8, 4.8, 0, 0, 0
point.1 = 1, -23.5, -12.6, -7.3, 3000, 1, 1.2, 0, 0.66, 0.7, 0.8, 4.5, 5.2, 2, 0, 0
point.2 = 1, -23.5, 12.6, -7.3, 3000, 2, 1.2, 0, 0.66, 0.7, 0.8, 4.8, 4.9, 3, 0, 0

With MCX I changed this (to the gear position) and it looks ok like here:
[contact_points]
point.0 = 1, 34.5, 0, -6.50, 1500, 0, 0.9, 90, 0.432, 0.652, 0.8, 4.8, 4.8, 0, 0, 0
point.1 = 1, 9.5, -11.85, -6.75, 3000, 1, 1.2, 0, 0.66, 0.7, 0.8, 4.5, 5.2, 2, 0, 0
point.2 = 1, 9.5, 11.85, -6.75, 3000, 2, 1.2, 0, 0.66, 0.7, 0.8, 4.8, 4.9, 3, 0, 0

But ughhhh.... after this model starts to dance on the ground and recived extra speed ;).

I must change something more? TY!

edit: ok some ideas I found here https://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/vi ... 3&t=179334 . I leave the old position but I changed contact points (hight only) and decreased static_pitch. Looks ok now:

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Slide your frame rate setting down to 10 fps and check the stability of the aircraft on turns on the taxiway and see if it bounces. Values 9 and 10 in the contact points often cause that, but yours look about right. Just check to be sure.

John