The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSDS Modeling Tutorial Series: The Basics Part 2

This contains a series of 7 tutorial videos that cover the basic principals of working with FSDS.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

FSDS Modeling Tutorial Series: The Basics Part 2

Post by MIKE JG »

I have posted the next video tutorial for our FSDS modeling series.

This tutorial is a bit longer and focuses on working with points and working in point mode with FSDS.

There are a couple links you can choose from as this one ended up being rather largish in size.

Here are two links for the high resolution versions, one for a standard zip file and the other uses the .rar format for compression which gives it a smaller compressed sized. If you need to, do a search for ".rar" file format and you should be able to download the freeware version of the software that will be able to de-compress a .rar file. This video is approximately 45 minutes in length. We recommend downloading this overnight while you sleep if you have a slower connection speed.

https://militaryaiworks.com/academy/fsd ... ics-part-2

Please post any questions or comments you may have about this tutorial in this thread.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
fishlips

Re: FSDS Modeling Tutorial Series: The Basics Part 2

Post by fishlips »

Very infomative Mike, thanks.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

That was a great little tutorial, Mike. I have never used snap to scale before. Perhaps in my models I haven't found it necessary before but now that I know about it...that certainly makes things easier. I am looking forward to the upcoming, more advaced series, obviously :)
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Thanks, depending on the model, that feature can eliminate quite a few points and make your life easier. I used it the other day on something and it deleted 38 points! I thought it might delete like 5 or 6 so it certainly has its uses.

The other half will be out of town this week so I get the main rig to myself for the week. Hopefully I can get the microphone issue fixed and we can keep on trucking. :wink:
-Mike G.

tgycgijoes
Cadet
Cadet

Post by tgycgijoes »

Hey Mike,

I probably bought this program when you started writing this but I was also a new FS9 flight simmer and more concerned with flying B737's which I learned inside and out with both FS software and real Boeing software. Now.........I am regressing to 1942 and have designed my own Primary and Basic flying fields from all kinds of photos. They are very accurate, I designed my own AI which work great currently doing TNG's but there are no accurate US domestic buildings for hangers or barracks etc. I have a ton of old photos accurately showing these and want to learn how to create these in FSDS. I love to write can ya tell? LOL Anyway thank you very much for these tutorials. I am looking forward to designing and sharing my buildings. I have downloaded and used a lot of MAIW airfields while I was with the virtual Air National Guard and also at virtual NAS Pensacola with the T6 Texan II. The real VT-10 squadron there was a great help to the high school students I teach aviation fundamentals to using FS9. We co-operate with a flying school at the local airport. School's out now so being retired I have lots of time to learn and to design my WWII buildings.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Great to hear you are giving it a go. We're here to help when you get stuck. The texturing is honestly the hardest part to get looking correct.
-Mike G.