The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSDS Modeling Tutorial Series: A Basic Hangar Model

This contains a series of 7 tutorial videos that cover the basic principals of working with FSDS.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

FSDS Modeling Tutorial Series: A Basic Hangar Model

Post by MIKE JG »

This is the first video tutorial where we actually model a structure. In this case a very basic hangar with open doors and an interior. This lesson will not focus on texturing this model, only constructing it. We will cover the texturing of this model in the next tutorial.

This lesson uses tips and techniques learned in the "FSDS Basics" series and builds on that knowledge.

This video is approximately 26 minutes long.

https://militaryaiworks.com/academy/fsd ... ngar-model

Please post any questions or comments you may have about this tutorial in this thread.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: FSDS Scenery Modeling: A Basic Hangar Model

Post by MIKE JG »

Also as a favor to me, can you please post a quick note to let me know if you are actually using/watching these tutorials.

So far the feedback has been practically nil. If this continues, I will not continue to produce these tutorials as it is not worth my time and efforts.
-Mike G.

1st Shirt

Post by 1st Shirt »

Mike, speaking for myself, your tutorial stuff is fantabulous :smt007

I haven't commented on any of the previous ones (although I should have, my apologies :oops: ). I don't have FSDS yet, but will get it soon. Let me just tell you that even without the software, your tutorials have made me feel like I'll be able to jump right in, Well done!

I'm sure my first attempts will be simple (everything starts at the beginning) but I think you've made it as easy as possible to get started, many thanks!
andy135
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy135 »

Please................ keep the tutorials going. We may be silent, but we are appreciative.

Thank you.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

wasn't sure when to begin feedback. waiting for first learning project. assumed it would be like home work assignment sort of thing. Have enjoyed the lessons so far, other than high praise for each, they don't really offer much excuse for feed back. Like being in the class room paying attention to the instructor, taking notes etc. So how will you want feed back on this? Pic of results, copy of the model file to you to review? Maybe the answer is in the current lesson which has just finished d/l so I'm off to unzip and watch. ta ta for now
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Ron I just need to know if anyone is actually utilizing the lessons, which appears that you guys are.
-Mike G.

ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Normally, I start reading the various posts from top to bottom, but when I seen that there is a new post in the lessons thread, I go there first, and start the d/l. I will unzip and transfer to preferred folder and then sit back and watch before doing much of anything else. I'm sure there are lots of happy viewers out there, but lately I had been worrying about no feed back causing you to abandon the project. Please don't. Ron
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

No worries, even if only a couple people are using them, that's worth it to me. I'll try to get the next lesson done today.
-Mike G.

ricktk
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by ricktk »

As been slow going with other commitments, but am working through them. Great work. Has helped alot in understanding the FSDS program and design.
Before this had dabbled with it, but now going much easier.

Thanks for your hard work,
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Mike,
I must admit to hoarding these like a frickin' squirrel for the time that I will actually be able to try these rather than watch them.

Roll on the return of shift work! Days is frickin' killing me!
Steve
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

even if only a couple people are using them, that's worth it to me

Very good news, and thanks very much.... Ron
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Bloody hell...making interiors was easier than I ever imagined. I always shied away from doing too many because I have always created single polys to recreate the insides. Man...I suck. Great job, Mike.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

BadPvtDan wrote:Bloody hell...making interiors was easier than I ever imagined. I always shied away from doing too many because I have always created single polys to recreate the insides. Man...I suck. Great job, Mike.
HEHE I was exactly the same when I saw Mike use "Snap to Scale" I couldn't believe I'd never used that before.

Nice One Mike these tutorials have been amazing and very worthwhile.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
flynby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by flynby »

Downloaded Basic 2 last night. Reminded me of uses I had forgotten like pressing the "C" to center plus others. So I downloaded Basic 1.
Don't get discouraged. One reason you may not hear from people is because of the easy simple clear way you describe things!! Look forward to more tutorials.
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Re: FSDS Modeling Tutorial Series: A Basic Hangar Model

Post by btaylo24 »

Mike

Superb video, really easy to follow. I even understood it!
Thanks for doing these, will be a benefit for years.
Barry
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Glad you liked it. Still want to do more but as you know, other projects are taking my time these days, really enjoy doing the aircraft modeling right now. Scenery has suddenly become boring to me....
-Mike G.

sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Mike
A ton of thank's for doing these tutorials .They's been an enormous help ! I my case I followed along using my hanger version and when stuck or f##ked things up went back to the appropriate tutorial . GOLDEN RULE #1 =back up with a working version OFTEN !!
Brian
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Another tip is to back up using a file naming system that allows you to go back one or two versions in case you really muck something up.

When doing AI models, I usually start with something like "RC135U_A.fsc" and by the time the model is finished, the name is usually something like "RC135U_PP" having gone all the way through the alphabet and starting with double lettering.

I will usually keep about 5 versions prior to the current one just in case. It has saved me on numerous occasions.

The other thing you have to be careful with FSDS is using the back button to undo your work. If you are working on a project, say you just loaded it up made a few changes, then didn't like the changes you made, used the back button to undo what you just did, eventually you'll get to a blank screen with no model present. If you have accidentally saved that file or the autosave feature was active and it saved that blank file, you just lost all of your work. Just like that.

After that happened a few times, I went to the backup system with the lettering which has worked very well.
-Mike G.

norchie
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by norchie »

Hi
Hope all of you are well?
I am a newbie here and been following the Basic Hangar video
I need some help please
I followed the video till 6m30sec,then i get stuck
When i select my points to make the hangers side walls for the doors,when i move it,it movies my rooftop en not the walls
Hope its clear in which section i require some assistance
If any one can assist,it will gladly be appreciated
Greetings from South Africa
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Norchie

Welcome.

You need to select the first box. Then copy it. Work then with the copy of the box.

Or you could make a new box from scratch.

I have not used FSDS in a while, but the idea is to select a new part before trying to manipulate it.

Use all the tutorials you can to get a better understanding of how the program works.

Remember most tutorials are made by people who have been using the program for a long time and take the basic steps for granted.

Persevere, it will be worth it in the long run.

John