The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

B-24 Liberator - C-87 Liberator Express

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

B-24 Liberator - C-87 Liberator Express

Post by Joecoastie »

A For What It's Worth Post.

After posting in the John Young's B-24 thread, I remembered a book my father had bought for me ages ago when I was 3. After a few minutes of digging around in my 'junk' I found it. The title is "Flight to Everywhere" by Ivan Dimitri. It is a pictorial story of flights made by Dimitri in C-87's of the USAAF Air Transport Command during WWII. 240 pages of color and B/W photos. I was going to copy some of the pictures and post them here.

Then I happened to Google the title and found it is still available on Amazon; then found a library site that had the entire book available on line for FREE .

https://archive.org/details/flighttoeverywhe00dmitrich

I googled C-87 and found tons of info and other stuff. (man, you can really spend/waste time surfing !)

Photos
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... or_Express

Cutaway drawing - 1943 Popular Mechanics 1943
http://books.google.com/books?id=PNcDAA ... e&q&f=true

Resurrected B-24s (a cloth windscreen ?!)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Histo ... rator.html
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Re: B-24 Liberator - C-87 Liberator Express

Post by Victory103 »

Would be fun to replicate in the sim, alot guys do "round the world" events online. I just can't sit in front of my laptop that long.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

If (or when) John makes a C-87 I'm planning on having some flight plans ready to replicate the flights.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Joe, I'm just researching 20 serial numbers for the 479th ASG Liberators so that I can make you that number of aircraft. Probably won't find coloured nose art, but it may be possible to get the fuselage codes.

The C-87 is not just a case of removing the guns. I'll need to change the fuselage to get rid of the turret positions and glass panelling. I'll probably open up the nose for animated doors too. Leave that one with me, I've a lot to do before I can contemplate that one.

By the way, if you want to use my US Army vehicle objects for St Eval, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll get them off to you.

John
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

20 ! Thanks, John! I would have been satisfied with just one. I'm planning on putting spaces for all the types of A/C from the list of Sqdns that were stationed there. -24s, Spits, Hurricaines, Mossies, Shackeltons, etc. What ever I can find AI wise. Haven't found any period photos of the place but still looking.

I understand about the C-87 . . . . . like you, I've been putting more on my plate than I can handle. :wink:

A jeep and a deuce and a half would certainly get some use at St. Eval . . . . PM'd.

Cheers !