The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

USN S-3 retired

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

USN S-3 retired

Post by Victory103 »

All the interweb's crazy stories of these back in USN service or now South Korean looking at getting a few. VX-30 conducted last flights with the "War Hoover". I'll never forget my ride on/off CVN-69 in a VS-30 bird, good times!

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-u- ... 1752425937
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: USN S-3 retired

Post by clickclickdoh »

Another outstanding airframe that fell victim to the Navy's desire to have hornets do everything off the boat.
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

Victory103 wrote:All the interweb's crazy stories of these back in USN service or now South Korean looking at getting a few. VX-30 conducted last flights with the "War Hoover". I'll never forget my ride on/off CVN-69 in a VS-30 bird, good times!

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-u- ... 1752425937

Best I ever got was one trap and one cat shot in a COD off CVN-72.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Ironically enough, we were flying back to our home base in Cleveland yesterday morning cruising along in our King Air when the controller called VFR traffic that was heading our way, we were at 11,000 and the VFR traffic (which she was talking to also) was at 10,500.

The cool part came when I asked the controller what type of aircraft we were looking for, her response..... "S-3".....

NASA has two of them in Cleveland that they do research with. One in NASA colors and the other is still in Navy gray.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I did not know the Viking was still flying at all. I thought they were all retired years ago.
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Dave Waffler »

I worked on the S-3 VIking from 1985-1988. I was a jet engine mechanic, and she was a great bird to work on. Amazingly simple, compared to my first Navy jet I worked on, the F-14!!! Sure do miss the sound of her engines, although living in Tucson, we get to hear the TF-34 of the A-10, and sometimes can hear the whine of the engines that remind my wife and I of our beloved S-3. Fairwell dear friend!!!