The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

MAG-12 and/or MAG-36 Moving From Japan to Guam?

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
JNDVirtual

MAG-12 and/or MAG-36 Moving From Japan to Guam?

Post by JNDVirtual »

I am working on an FSX MAIW-friendly redo of Andersen AFB Guam and recently read this article from Stars and Stripes regarding the relocation of U.S. Marine Corps forces from Okinawa to Guam. I noticed the following snippets:
"Some of the Navy’s previous decisions on Guam preparations remain unchanged. These include improvements to the Apra Harbor wharf, relocation of U.S. Marine Corps Aviation Combat Element facilities to Andersen Air Force Base..."
"The EIS...said the first units could be expected by 2020 with an initial Marine Air-Ground Task Force capability to be established by 2023."
Considering that Marine Aircraft Group 36 (VMM-262 and VMM-265) and MAG-12 (VMFA(AW)-242 and VMGR-152) are stationed in Japan, does anyone know if any of these units plan to remain in Japan after this move is complete? Considering that MAG-36 is a brigade-level ACE for III MEF, are those squadrons permanent to MAG-36 or do they rotate? I can make the parking at Andersen for them all, but I get confused as to whether or not these units will be permanently stationed overseas or if they are rotational units.

EDIT: Added MAG-12 to the original post which only mentioned MAG-36.
Last edited by JNDVirtual on 25 Feb 2016, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: MAG-36 Moving From Japan to Guam?

Post by clickclickdoh »

VMGR-152 is not at Futenma anymore. They have moved to MCAS Iwakuni. Futenma is a MV-22 base now.
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

I forgot to note that. Thanks for the correction. Considering how hard Japan wants to close Iwakuni, I think at least the Sumos are moving. And there's a 30-spot pad being built at Andersen which looks a bit big for a ten-aircraft helicopter sea combat squadron, so I'm thinking that the Ospreys are moving, too.
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

From another article:
"Construction projects at Andersen are also ongoing, Toolan added, which will accommodate the Marine Corps' aviation combat element. A parking ramp that can hold 25 aircraft has been built while construction on hangars, an aircraft wash rack, fueling stations and other projects are in progress, he said."
12 MV-22s in a squadron, two squadrons at Futenma...yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and keep editing PGUA. :lol:
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Iwakuni isn't in any danger of being closed. The CAW from Atsugi will be moving there in 2017 and moving onto a ramp being built behind the MAG12 ramp. VMGR152 moved into brand new facilities opposite the the JMSDF ramp.
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

Its not so much that Iwakuni will close (considering the new construction and the planned CAW move) as much as it is trying to determine what's raising up out of there. Considering that MAG-36 is at Futenma and only the -130s and F/A-18s are at Iwakuni, perhaps I'm a bit off base and it's the Hornets (or whenever they convert to F-35Bs) rolling out instead of the Ospreys or if it's just the Ospreys. There's room on the existing Andersen ramp for the -130s, too.

If they're saying that an entire MAGTF will be at PGUA by 2023, I wonder if all of it is moving or just the elements from Iwakuni or Futenma. Just seeing if anyone else had heard differently, but yes, I'll still have both bases in Japan in my sim.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: MAG-12 and/or MAG-36 Moving From Japan to Guam?

Post by clickclickdoh »

The move of VMGR-152 from MAG-36 at Futenma to MAG-12 at Iwakuni was part of the same realignment of forces that is driving the continuing draw down at Futenma and Atsugi while turning Iwakuni into a super base. MAG-12 is gaining another permanent squadron at Iwakuni next year when VMFA-121 brings their F-35s from Yuma.
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

Gotcha. Intel intel...this whole pivot and the other realignments sure make it interesting. lol
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

Okay, I got a hold of the 2015 Marine Aviation Plan, and it looks a bit clearer now.

It appears that the units to Guam will be rotational and will mostly come from MAG-24 at Kaneohe Bay.