The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Eielson AFB AK to Receive Two F-35A Squadrons

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
JNDVirtual

Eielson AFB AK to Receive Two F-35A Squadrons

Post by JNDVirtual »

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, was selected as the new home for the Air Force’s first operational overseas F-35A Lightning IIs.

“Alaska combines a strategically important location with a world-class training environment. Basing the F-35s at Eielson AFB will allow the Air Force the capability of using the Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex (JPARC) for large force exercises using a multitude of ranges and maneuver areas in Alaska,” said Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James. "This, combined with the largest airspace in the Air Force, ensures realistic combat training for the (Defense Department).”

Proximity to the JPARC will enable the Air Force to take advantage of approximately 65,000 square miles of available airspace for realistic, world-class training in the Air Force’s most advanced fifth-generation fighter.

The base is projected to receive two squadrons of F-35As, which will join the wing’s F-16 Fighting Falcon aggressor squadron currently assigned to Eielson AFB.

"The decision to base two F-35 squadrons at Eielson AFB, Alaska, combined with the existing F-22 Raptors at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, will double our fifth-generation fighter aircraft presence in the Pacific theater," said Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III. "Integrating that fifth-generation force with Navy, Marine, and allied F-35 forces will provide joint and coalition warfighters unprecedented survivability, lethality and battlespace awareness in contested environments. It's an exciting time for Pacific airpower."

On-base construction to prepare for the aircraft is expected to start in fiscal year 2017 in order to be ready to accept the first F-35As, which are currently scheduled to begin arriving in 2020.

More/Source: http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/t ... craft.aspx
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Eielson AFB AK to Receive Two F-35A Squadrons

Post by clickclickdoh »

Well, I guess the F-22s did need something new to beat up on.
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

:lol: :lol:

Looks like they're gonna build two 16-aircraft shelters in the South Loop and also use the 8-bay and 4-bay shelter that the 18th Aggressor Squadron currently uses. The 18 AGRS ops building appears to be moving to the old A-10 ramp and what I think was the old 355th Fighter Squadron ops building. I dunno what is currently housed in the weather shelters for the A-10s, but I think the 18 AGRS F-16s will be housed there.
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

Any idea/word which two squadrons will be reactivated?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Big report due out soon from the 422nd at Nellis as to whether or not the F-35A is on pace to declare IOC this summer at Hill AFB. Last two month's issues of Combat Aircraft have had a nice series of articles on this process. Some interesting tidbits in those articles.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

MIKE JG wrote:Some interesting tidbits in those articles.
Ooooo...eagerly awaiting...

I just redid the AFCAD for PAEI in FSX with the updated South Loop. Gonna use the 54th and 317th fighter squadrons as placeholders until an official announcement.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

The April issue of CA has the FY17 Force Structure changes. Knew about the A-10s, but I was surprised a few Herc squadrons are going to become C-17 users including one AK unit at Elmendorf, the 144th AS. I'm assuming these are going to become traditional associate units (share planes).
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

Ooooo...wouldn't mind peeping that. May have to get me a subscription.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

The VT ANG was just informed that they will be receiving their F-35A's in 2019, a year earlier than previously scheduled, so their development progress must be improving. :D

Of course they will arrive at KBTV then only if our local anti-military fanatics don't find any reasons for additional lawsuits to challenge the USAF's decision to base them here. :smt021
    Mike M.
    MIKE JG
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer
    Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

According to quotes from that article, the fact that it's a 'Joint' Strike Fighter means that each version has features that it does not need, for example a zero/zero ejection seat that must reach at least 70 ft is standard on the A,B, and C but was a requirement of only the British contingent, yet the whole fleet now has a heavier ejection seat because of this one group's requirement. Same goes with the canopy bow, only one country insisted on this for their versions yet the whole fleet has it now. One of the more eye opening bits was reading that the pilots actually wish it had a traditional HUD versus the fancy helmet display.

Classic case of too many cooks in the kitchen.....
    -Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
    JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

Slowly but surely...but I did model the South Loop with the proposed F-35 weather shelters and proposed new-build buildings.
    Attachments
    fsx_paei_aerial.jpg
    JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

Victory103 wrote:The April issue of CA has the FY17 Force Structure changes. Knew about the A-10s, but I was surprised a few Herc squadrons are going to become C-17 users including one AK unit at Elmendorf, the 144th AS. I'm assuming these are going to become traditional associate units (share planes).
    Yup. Looks like the active-duty C-17s from Elmendorf are headed to the Alaska Air Guard. Wonder if that'll make the 517 AS an active-duty associate of the 144 AS now.