The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF RC-135s

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

RAF RC-135s

Post by VulcanDriver »

I read today that all the RAF's Rivet Joints are based at Mildenhall. I thought they were at Waddington?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: RAF RC-135s

Post by Garysb »

Runways been dug up the last 18 months, should be back after Xmas

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Ah that explains it.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
maiden757
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by maiden757 »

Interesting fact about said runway being dug up. I was chatting to the boss of the RAF detachment at Mil on a spotting trip and he was saying that having done all the work the runway is still going to be too short for a safe departure of a fully loaded Riv. I seem to remember his words being something along the lines of " a rejected take off at full payload would be interesting if nothing else!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Oh, what is the point!
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

OK, USAF are moving out of Mil so the RAF can leave Waddington and go there. Simples :)
John

swp53
Captain
Captain

Post by swp53 »

Vulcandriver wrote
"OK, USAF are moving out of Mil so the RAF can leave Waddington and go there. Simples :)"
Once you change all the electrics on base from 60hz to 50hz that is, which is why former US bases have not been taken over by the RAF. At least that's my understanding.
Past Beta Tester
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes I think there's some truth in that. We were told when we visited Bentwaters to do our research for the scenery we were building, that the re-wiring costs of the RAF taking over the base would be too expensive.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

John Young wrote:Yes I think there's some truth in that. We were told when we visited Bentwaters to do our research for the scenery we were building, that the re-wiring costs of the RAF taking over the base would be too expensive.

John

Oh well more housing estates ;)
John