The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

interesting conversation

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

interesting conversation

Post by VulcanDriver »

Talking to a retired RN guy today. Spoke about our new carriers and he said both will be on temporary loan to the USN for the USMC to practice with their F-35B also British pilots can practice until ours are delivered. He got that from a serving RN officer. Nothing in the press over here.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
swp53
Captain
Captain

Re: interesting conversation

Post by swp53 »

"Nothing in the press over here"
Because it's old news, I can't remember where I read about it as it was some time ago.
Past Beta Tester
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Never heard it mentioned anywhere.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Doesn't make any sense to me. There are enough LHDs and simulated LHDs to go around. It makes more sense that they would do cross decking exercises, as have been done before.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

It makes sense for both parties. The USMC get a carrier optimised for F-35 ops to practice on and the RN get to iron out wrinkles in their new equipment before their machines arrive.
Steve
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Well yes, but as far as I recall, the QE isn't supposed to start F-35 trials until 2018 with the Prince of Wales following sometime next century. Meanwhile, there are 9 decks already serving in the USN for the F-35B. Eight really, since USS Wasp is following VMFA-121 to Japan when they take their F-35Bs to Iwakuni early next year. It would make more sense to put British pilots in American metal and fly them off American decks, that way when the RN ships come online you have pilots already checked out and ready to start building the RN ops. Like was done with the RC-135Ws.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

And the RAF crews operating USN P.8s
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

clickclickdoh wrote:the QE isn't supposed to start F-35 trials until 2018 with the Prince of Wales following sometime next century
Blimey, that is quite a delivery spread.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:
clickclickdoh wrote:the QE isn't supposed to start F-35 trials until 2018 with the Prince of Wales following sometime next century
Blimey, that is quite a delivery spread.
I'm hoping that's meant to be next decade!!
John

clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Firebird wrote:Blimey, that is quite a delivery spread.
It's a jobs program :wink: