The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Canada dumps F-35

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Canada dumps F-35

Post by VulcanDriver »

A sensible decision CAF pilots weren't happy going on patrols over the frozen wastes of Northern Canada in a single engine fighter.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/militar ... -18-order/
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Canada dumps F-35

Post by Firebird »

To my thinking this may be the start of something, but Canada has a history of military contracts being used in political situations so I am not going to leap in that direction.

So the question is are they going for the Typhoon, Rafale or the F-15? There isn't a lot else from the west.
Steve
relfel66
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by relfel66 »

Plans are in the works to purchase 18 Super Hornets as a temporary solution.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fighter ... -1.3862210
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

And the per unit cost of the F-35 continues to go up.....
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I read that Boeing are pushing the F/A-18 to European Airforces as many are getting fed up the F-35 delays and, as they say, it's combat proven.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

The F-35 will be a good 5th gen aircraft eventually. Unfortunately it is not delivering on the things LM said it would deliver on by now and who can blame a country like Canada for bailing out on the program. If I'm a RCAF pilot, I don't want to be patrolling the high arctic at night, in the dead of winter, relying on a single engine to keep running to keep me alive.

They can have Super Hornets within 2 years, they cost way less, they have two engines and are the big brother of what they already fly. Seems like a no-brainer really.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

MIKE JG wrote:The F-35 will be a good 5th gen aircraft eventually. Unfortunately it is not delivering on the things LM said it would deliver on by now and who can blame a country like Canada for bailing out on the program. If I'm a RCAF pilot, I don't want to be patrolling the high arctic at night, in the dead of winter, relying on a single engine to keep running to keep me alive.

They can have Super Hornets within 2 years, they cost way less, they have two engines and are the big brother of what they already fly. Seems like a no-brainer really.
Spot on Mike they've made the right decision.
John