The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Why I'm leaving the Royal Air Force

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Why I'm leaving the Royal Air Force

Post by nickblack423 »

It is with mixed emotions that today I handed in my request to be released from the Royal Air Force. I felt I needed to vent some pent up frustration, and so here I am writing this.

My decision was based on various factors, most of which point back to the fact that I feel let down by the RAF, in that, the career I signed on for and was sold in the Armed Forces Careers Office, is not the one that I am currently in. I was promised the chance to see the world, to be able to play sports and go on adventurous training expeditions, gain all sorts of qualifications, even study in my free time. I have done none of this, until recently I had not seen the world, and its only in the last year, and my current posting that this has happened. And with the overstretched operational tempo, no-one in my trade especially is allowed to do any adventurous training or sporting activities because we are "too-busy." But seeing the world doesnt mean the same anymore, for someone like me who spends up to 5 months of the year away on various Detachments and exercises can still be stung for a Out Of Area detachment to Afghanistan or Iraq, at very short notice. As was my case when I recieved 28 days notice to go to Afghanistan last year. Fair enough I was single at the time, and the only disruption was to me, but now to face the prospect of the same, when I have a family, (well on the way anyway) I cannot put myself or them through that heartache.

I want to be able to plan my life, I want to be able to know where Im going to be next year, or even next month! I want to know that if I buy a house to raise a family, Im not going to have to move them every 3 years, and in that 3 years, probably spend 1 and 1/5 of them away in other countries missing my kids grow up.

At some points in your life you have to prioritise, and I feel that now is the time when having a family is more important to me than the Military. It is a damn shame that I have had to watch somethin I believed in so much, develop into something I resent. I have been involved with then Military for 13 years now (including my time in the Cadets) and it was my life long dream to see out my days here. But it is no longer a good organistation to work for. They are not investors in people, they dont care about your life outside of the RAF, you are purely a tool. I've had enough and I need to get out before I am trapped in a position where I need to hang on for the pension. A position where I can still get a job in civvie street, a far better paid and better appreciated job too.

So I thought I wanted to make you aware of my decision. It will not take effect for 12 months, so I'll still be here, and going off to Vegas amongst others, for a while yet.

This doesnt affect my love for Military Aviation or the work I do here, that has always been seperate from my service life, so Im afraid you're stuck with me a little longer.

Thank you to those who take the time to read this long winded rant, but its something I wanted my friends and comrades to know.

Regards to all

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

Nick,
There are many people in this world who feel the same as you. So, please, don't feel alone in your decision.
Sometimes life appears one way when we are looking forward, and then it appears quite to the contrary as we look back at it.

I for one, would like to thank you for the time in service. Whether you know it or not, you and yours have made a difference in this world.

I applaud your courage as I know this decisions has not been an easy one.

I salute you,

KJ
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I think all soldiers face this at some point. Don't be down about your decision or even let it cloud your feelings toward your service. Instead, celebrate what you have accomplished and always take pride in being one of the few who actually pick up a ruck and rifle.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Nick,
It sounds like you have been thinking about this for some time, and therefore you have probably come to a sound and reasoned decision. For that you must be applauded, it is too easy to make a rash decision based on one incident or factor. It's sad when people feel they have to leave the forces.

Incidentally, even in my day I always felt like a tool to be used and not a person. Part of that I think is the nature of the necessary structure the military has to have, i.e following orders, and part of that is a bit of a self- protection mechanism for individuals. I have signed aircrew out that never came back, yet you still have the next wave waiting.

Good Luck with the transition to Civvie Street.
Steve
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Hi Nick,
Thank you for sharing what are very personal feelings regarding your decision to leave the Royal Air Force; the decision you came to I'm sure must have been quite difficult but nonetheless, you are becoming a part of something much more meaningful and much more fulfilling and much, much more enjoyable than any career could ever be - a family; it's a full time commitment with many exercises and tests, but they are rewarding in the extreme; life is full of disillusionment and unfulfilled promises but it's what WE make of the situation that makes the difference.
Good luck for the future mate. And if you feel like a pint, I know where Ratty's is!
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Guys,

Many thanks for all your kind words. It helps alot. It wasnt an easy decision at all but its the right one. And I agree with you Debydoo, the adventure is only just starting. HEHE

Nick
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Nick,

about seven years ago I faced the decision to stay longer with the German Navy. I had a contract for six years. The next step would have been to stay 10 years in total. I decided against that because I was promised too: See the world ! But all I have seen was Decimomannu (twice), Ovar and Piacenza. I do not want to say that those trips were not a nice experience - I really enjoyed that time ! But Deci was a trip anybody from our base would go on. Ovar was very close to the end of my time at ETME - I had to prepare for the time after the Navy ! Piacenza was a trip which usually the people from the Schleswig Air Base did but did not have the personell to fulfill that job at that time. I wanted to got to the more interesting destinations. I wanted to go to Goose Bay, Landivisiau, Roosevelt Roads, Keflavik, Bodo, Andoya, Torrejon, Souda, Leeuwarden, Lossiemouth, etc. ! And all I got were four trips in three and a half years ! They put me into a guardian job for three months - but I was a technician ! I told them: when I leave you will never see me again ! I spent six years with the German Navy. First I wanted to go aboard a ship. In the first week of my duty they told us: less than 25% of the Navy will ever have the chance to go aboard !

Nick, I really do understand your decision. But I did not know that UK soldiers have to face the same problems than the german have to ... Does someone would like to confirm this for other countries ?

I hope you will still stay with us here at MAIW as your models gave many of us the addition we needed for our sim. Have you made any decisions for your future job ?

Although I have changed the job three (!) times until then I am satisfied with what I am doing now. And comparing the money I get each month: it is more than three times net ! :) Sadly it has nothing to do with aviation :( But the head office is close to the end of EDDS runway (probably 2 miles) ! :)
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

Nick,

The decision you've made is a brave one and one many, many before you have had to make. It's a brave move, braver than the one you made to join in the first place. You can stand tall in the knowledge that you have served and that in itself is a big thing. It makes you better than any who talk the talk but daren't walk the walk.

I've been in the Army for over 30 years, I've been very lucky to have seen the world in the days before the present conflicts. Even so, I've spent a great deal of my career in N Ireland and there have been many times I've wondered about leaving and never been brave enough to jump ship. Things have changed in the Armed Forces in the past few years and the government and the RAF will feel the loss of people like yourself, because folks are leaving in unprecedented numbers.

In Britain there isn't the support for the military that you see in the US and other countries and that lack of support extends to our own politicians. The crunch for the nation will come when they need us to do something and we won't be able to provide the people they expect us to. By then it will be too late. Personally I really enjoy my job but behind it all I'm only here for the pension now.

Good luck, I have no doubt that you'll succeed in whatever you choose to do next. :drink:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Re: Why I'm leaving the Royal Air Force

Post by Makadocias »

nickblack423 wrote:

This doesnt affect my love for Military Aviation or the work I do here, that has always been seperate from my service life, so Im afraid you're stuck with me a little longer.

Nick
Thanks a lot for staying with us though because we definitely appreciate your hard work here a lot!!!

Also good luck finding a new job!
1st Shirt

Post by 1st Shirt »

Nick,

Good on you for your service, it's a way of life many will never experience.

I spent 24 years in the USAF and the hardest decision I ever made was to call it quits; but when the 'powers that be' feel that politics are more important than the mission and suggest that you put aside your integrity to 'play ball'... it's time to go.

Although I wish I had left under better circumstances, I'm still proud of my service and the USAF. Always keep in mind what you did accomplish and focus on what you will accomplish!

Good luck in future endeavors (and keep those great aircraft models coming!)
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Nick,

All the best to you mate. You will discover that "There is life after the RAF" although I am sure that a lot of soul searching went into your decision.

A couple that I know (He Chief Tech on Harriers, she Flight Sgt/Chief Clerk) have recently taken early retirement/redundancy. They sold up their house in Lincolnshire and are building a villa in Northern Cyprus.

Both reckon it's the best move they made, but they too went through a lot of "to and fro" during the decision making process.

The biggest loser in all of this is the RAF, as the experience/knowledge etc is just walking out the door.

Good luck

Stew 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Seagull
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Seagull »

Nick I do not blame you at all for your descision to leave the RAF now. The services are worse off now with the lack of support from those on high who should know better. The government appears not to care at all about supporting those in combat and has taken on huge overseas commitments with out the resources to complete them.

All the best and many thanks for all that you have done for us all at MAIW.
hibbs
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by hibbs »

Nick

5 years ago I made the same decision and left the RAF, all I can say is don’t worry.

You will leave behind some good friends and will have some good memories. my transition from military to civvie was a difficult one but I made it and now don’t look back, it was fun at the time but it was time to move on. I am sure you will make the leap just one thing, please keep making these wonderful packages you so generously share with us!!!

Good Luck.
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Nick,
I ran out my 29 years and 9 months in the USAF-Mostly because of Patriotism and love of my job. Nonetheless it is not a choice everyone makes. I was fortunate to have good assignments and I did get to see the world (most of the Far East anyway). The USAF has also changed a lot these days. Much of what you describe is happening to some extent in our forces. At one time you could plan and develop your career. I am not so sure it is as true today.
When one of my troops decided to get out, we would hold a personal discussion about that decision. I had a clear rule about what I would advise. If the departing guy had plans for the future, (return to school, a job to go to, personal problems to deal with, etc) I wished Him or Her a
bright future. If they had no plans, I did my best to convince them to stay. I had a lot of both types and for the most part it all worked out well.
You have a clear perspective and motivation for change so I hope it all works out well for you. We each have our own needs to satisfy and most of those should be based on what makes your life happy. Good Luck!
GZR_SACTARGETS
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I was worried I would be looked on as a quitter but alot of people have agreed with my decision, not only on here but also in my work place. The support Ive had has been incredible and it help an awful lot.
And on another note, I will not stop making models and packages and lending my hand in MAIW. This is my hobby, one that I thoroughly enjoy, and, although family life may hold me up from the machine that Ive been earlier this year, I will still continue to support and be a big part of this community.

Nick
Paul
Captain
Captain

Post by Paul »

Hey Nick,

I really do support your decision on leaving the military. Family is top priority, especially in the times that we live in now . As good as your videos are, I think you should look into becoming a film director or editor for say maybe "Top Gun 2". :lol: