The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Lossie Expansion

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Lossie Expansion

Post by jimrodger »

Announced today....

RAF Lossiemouth will be the new home of the UK's fleet of Wedgetail AEW Mk1 surveillance aircraft, bolstering Scotland's key role in UK and NATO defence security, Defence Minister Baroness Goldie announced today.
Delivering a step change in capability from the current E-3D Sentry, the Wedgetail is capable of simultaneously tracking multiple airborne and maritime targets, using the information it gathers to improve situational awareness and direct assets such as fighter jets and warships. The Wedgetail has previously been used by the Royal Australian Air Force on operations against Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
The Wedgetail will be co-located with the new Poseidon fleet, with the first four submarine-hunting aircraft already providing operational support in the region.

Jim
Attachments
Wedge.JPG
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Lossie Expansion

Post by Firebird »

Having both fleets of Boeing 737 based derivatives at the same station seems remarkably astute - logistically.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

It was traditionally the home of the AEW fleet, with both the Navy's AEW Gannets based there and then, after Lossie was transferred to the RAF, the AEW Shackletons of 8 Sqn (in which I flew many times - great fun!). The introduction of the Sentry was done at a time when the V Force had gone, and they needed to get something into Waddington - or lose it. From a tactical point of view, Waddington was always a less good choice than Lossie.

However, when the Scots get independence, they'll have to move them all back down south...
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I always found the Shackleton a very nice looking aircraft. Definitely something for the wish list.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Alas, it's not on mine Martin - not with 8 contra-rotating props to tag through the LODs in FSX/P3D.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I know that, John. You told me years ago, and therefore I keep myself from mentioning the Shackleton in your next project threads. Although it hurts deeply because I know your Shackleton would be absolutely stunning.
Cheers,
Martin