The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

NFL Flypast

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

NFL Flypast

Post by John Young »

A couple of weeks ago we were amazed to see 4 F-15s heading in line astern straight at our living room window, before turning towards London. The following Sunday they appeared again. We get hardly any fixed wing military aircraft this far south in the UK, but Apache's from Wattisham are quite common.

A bit of internet searching told me that the first appearance was a practice for a flypast over the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in north London and the second one was the actual event for an NFL match. The aircraft of course originated from Lakenheath about 60 miles away. 2 F-15C's and 2 E's.

I also noted from the net that a second flypast was to be done this afternoon for the second of two matches. This time I was lying in wait. I was not disappointed - the formation flew right over my house in a holding circle and I was able to grab a quick shot in the few seconds they were visible:

John
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: NFL Flypast

Post by SeanG »

Noisy beast aren't they :)

Nice bit of living-room spotting John!

Sean
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Match your models perfectly! Love living next to a major fighter base here in the US, just not when I put my toddler down for nap time!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Just think that for next years games you will probably get F-35s from the newly reactivated 495th.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I missed seeing them, but I certainly heard them as they flew over my office on the rehearsal. I was a bit disappointed that the BBC TV cameras didn't even elevate to see where the noise was coming from as the actual flypast took place.