The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

NATO moves to acquire C-17 strategic airlift aircraft :)

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

NATO moves to acquire C-17 strategic airlift aircraft :)

Post by RipPipPip »

Hehe,
a good move: http://www.air-attack.com/news/news_art ... craft.html

I thought Europe loves Airbus :twisted:
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Its good news that the C-17 plant at Long Beach is still open as the RAF has at least one additional C-17 ordered and the fear was that Boeing's threat to cease production would have affected delivery.

Airbus is not in Europe's good books at the moment due to delays with the A380 and a scandal over the sale of shares.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5138840.stm

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Aircraft contracts have some strange add-ons at times. The last buyer usually has to absorb the shut-down costs. The start-up guy absorbs those costs to get it going. They usually quote "unit costs" but the biggies are those production lines elements. There are all kinds of nuances like retraining the work force, storing or restoring assembly jigs, etc. Those become big factors in decisions to buy.
GZR_SACTARGETS
KMTC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by KMTC »

I would love to see some NATO C-17s. They desperatly need any airlift capability they can get right now.
Matt
Calvin Gwin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Calvin Gwin »

Interessting... I am happy too see this happening. I must say I have bee kind of worried lately about Boeing, lately its been Airbus this and Airbus that. Not that I want Airbus to fail, but being from the U. S. I would really hate to see Boeing disapeer.
Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper?
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

KMTC wrote:I would love to see some NATO C-17s. They desperatly need any airlift capability they can get right now.
Not when the member countries of NATO have refused to help the war in Afghanistan. What will NATO do with them? They'll help flying the kit around for the impressive exercises they throw to show how good they are at exercises.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

I think the affiliations with acronym names are less important these days. Seems that the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and South East Asia Treaty Organization are just acronyms. Looks like alliances are established on the fly these days. More like choosing sides for a ball game than international agreements.
GZR_SACTARGETS