The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

End of RAF Painting trade

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
mackem21
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

End of RAF Painting trade

Post by mackem21 »

Just thought that i would let all military simmers know, that the current trade of Painter :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: and Finisher in the Royal Air Force will cease come the 30th March 2008 in the real world ,and will be taken over by civilian contractors who will be responsable for all Aircraft painting in the Royal air force , so because of cut backs ,there might be less customised RAF Aircraft/Fast Jets in years to come ,but hopefully not ,we will have to wait and see . :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Outsourcing at its finest, a global trend unfortunately. :roll:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Bet some will end up at our local airport. The painting company based there has the contract for the Iron Maiden tour plane. I think its a 757. I've seen the artwork and its pretty cool!

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by alexrfixit »

So we can look forward to Iron Maiden RAF repaints? Cool!!! (sitting here typing this wearing an Iron Maiden t-Shirt!!)
Where did I put my beer??!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

@Alex
I could definitely go for that :D .

@VulcanDriver
Yep, it is a 757. The scheme is available on avsim for the AIA 757, if you feel the need.

In all seriousness, BA had the contract to paint the Nimrods for years, even the R1s. :D
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:@Alex
I could definitely go for that :D .

@VulcanDriver
Yep, it is a 757. The scheme is available on avsim for the AIA 757, if you feel the need.
Blimey, the real one has yet to be painted. I saw the artwork last weekend in the hands of one the painters.

I'll have a look on AVSIM. Isn't their lead singer a fully qualified commercial jet pilot? The guy I'm thinking of flies for Britannia.

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by alexrfixit »

Yep, Bruce Dickinson. He's also written books, had a radioshow and is apparently a talented fencer! Quite a character!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

John, the file is named aia_752_ironm.zip on avsim.
Steve
ChrisG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ChrisG »

Or if you have the Project Opensky 757, there is a repaint on the UKMIL website
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Spent the lunchtime talking to the guy from the company doing the Iron Maiden 757. He says the band have decided that they want it to look different now they've seen it painted and that they want 'Eddie' on the nose along with the British flag. The CAA have said that the emergency exit markings need to be applied over the markings (which they aren't at present). Also some minor markings need to be applied. There is also a debate about the lettering used on the fuselage being not the correct dimensions!

Originally the designer wanted 666 painted on the side of a/c but one the band members is very superstitious and said he would never go on it if it was!

The a/c has also got undergo safety tests as it will be carrying pyrotechnics. All this by the 31st Jan when ii comes in to service as the band's transport. Its costing £40K per day to hire plus fuel and crew costs!

John
John

alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by alexrfixit »

One of the members of Iron Maiden won't fly on an aircrsft marked with the "Number of the Beast"? That's priceless!!
MACC
Major
Major

Post by MACC »

Civi painters may be good, more colourful.
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

MACC wrote:Civi painters may be good, more colourful.
They'll still be working for the MOD, they're the ones who decide the schemes, not the painters...
MACC
Major
Major

Post by MACC »

Savage wrote:
MACC wrote:Civi painters may be good, more colourful.
They'll still be working for the MOD, they're the ones who decide the schemes, not the painters...
Happy streak over. :lol: