The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Outsourcing: Even the tanker fleet isn't exempt.....

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Outsourcing: Even the tanker fleet isn't exempt.....

Post by MIKE JG »

Check out this link Outsourcing Tankers

Well I guess it's no different then using a company like Evergreen or Atlas to haul military cargo around.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

Interesting details on there of their flight plans.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by nickblack423 »

I saw them in a conglomerate with Evergreen called, Global AirTanker Service at RIAT the other year. It seemed like a bloody brilliant idea.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

I saw them in a conglomerate with Evergreen called, Global AirTanker Service at RIAT the other year. It seemed like a bloody brilliant idea.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Someone got started with outsourcing a few years back. The argument was that it was less expensive than maintaining military capability to do that. Also that it would "free-up" GI resources. I guess we have seen how inexpensive it is! From what I understand Halliburton really gouges the Government for meals and other contract services. But at least they went to war with the GIs. That has always been my concern-Will the needed items (Tankers in this case) be there to support strike forces in a shooting war?? Same questions for 'civilianized' force structure positions.
My thought is that as a civilian- a guy could refuse to go. Most would not, but a few might. The Guard and Reserve guys all stepped up to the plate and deserve our thanks-but they are also Military!! :twisted:
GZR_SACTARGETS
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Back during the 1980's I read that the British Govt was considering selling our tanks and APCs to a vehicle leasing firm, and then renting them back in times of war. Thankfully the British Army top brass showed them the errors of their ways. Some wit said that British Army fighting vehicles would carry the Hertz Car Rental logo...

What they did do was to sell off the maintenance side of the British Army so our tanks are now maintained by a division of Honda Motors IIRC. I'll check with my neighbour who works at the AFV repair facility at Bovington Camp.

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

There is that famous story of the shipbuilders who were working on one of the Carriers after Pearl Harbor. The ship needed to sail and they went along to continue repairs. The ship was eventually in the Battle of Midway but I don't know if the ship-builders were still on board. :shock:
GZR_SACTARGETS
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

VulcanDriver wrote:I'll check with my neighbour who works at the AFV repair facility at Bovington Camp.

John
The best years of my single life. Bovi is a fantastic area to live for a single man. Those were the days. :twisted:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Calvin Gwin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Calvin Gwin »

Hmmm... interesting..... I dont have any objections.... yet... As long as there are only two I dont really think there will be an impact, but If the military decides to let all tankers be controlled by civialians then I would be worried.
Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper?
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Flight Refuelling based at my local airport (EGHH) have a contract to convert six airliners into tankers, they've done one (a DC-10), but I don't know the operator.

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Hi Vulcan Driver,
I get a kick out of your quote of Duncan Sandys. As a Former SAC Director of targets, the discussions of bombers vs. missiles were driven more by targets and objectives. The thing that quieted the missile advocates was that "missiles could not be recalled." The arguments against bombers was the logistics tail and the time to deploy. The reality was that the Strategic Triad (ICBMs, SLBMs, and Manned Bombers) was a very effecient system.
It is interesting today that Iran is saying it will have the capability to fire nuclear missiles from submarines. That is a function of the missile not having the legs to get to a target. The Soviets understood that when they built their nuclear sub fleet. Another major factor is that rotation of the earth favored the US-shooting east is easier. The Soviet SLBMs had to sit off the US east coast (and some west) to overcome that effect with a missile of reasonable size. To shoot west, you would have to build some heavy (fuel) missiles. They did do that also.
GZR_SACTARGETS
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

GZR_Sactargets wrote:Hi Vulcan Driver,
I get a kick out of your quote of Duncan Sandys. It is interesting today that Iran is saying it will have the capability to fire nuclear missiles from submarines. That is a function of the missile not having the legs to get to a target. The Soviets understood that when they built their nuclear sub fleet. Another major factor is that rotation of the earth favored the US-shooting east is easier. The Soviet SLBMs had to sit off the US east coast (and some west) to overcome that effect with a missile of reasonable size. To shoot west, you would have to build some heavy (fuel) missiles. They did do that also.
Yes dear old Duncan Sandys cancelled most of the UK's advanced aircraft projects including the AVRO 730 a Mach 3+ bomber plus many fighter projects. He only let the Lightning and the TSR2 go ahead as they were "the last of the manned RAF aircraft". They say he could not understand the reason airplanes fly, but could understand that rockets worked as they had a ruddy big engine behind it... Probably apocryphal. Thanks for info on SLBMs by the way, lots there I didn't know.

Cheers

John
John

GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Well, looks like the "ownership' thing isn't over. This article says they want to build a bunch of tankers. Of course politics comes first. :roll:
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,1 ... force-a.nl
GZR_SACTARGETS
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

This type of thing is the 'wave" of the future...

The Navy reserve C-20's, the C-40's and the up and coming P-8 (BBJ2) are all contract maintenance(civilians)

I believe the new T-6 Texan II will be contract maintenance as well. Hell IIRC the T-43's flight station crews are cilivians.

Some of the R&D outfits are also contract maintenance, either in it's entirety or portions. IE Navy does flight line maintenance, and civilians do special inspections.(IE plane washes and the such)...
ricktk
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by ricktk »

Not a big problem running civilian contracts to do cargo flights, refuel, or maintenance as far as I can see. Especially since it frees up manpower and hopefully money also.

Civilian manned tankers could easily do many tanker duties, not in a combat zone. Look at all the long distance flights across the pond, for B1s, B2s, B52s, etc. etc. The problems could come in on morale, if the civilian flight crews are based on the same bases as the military?

To: GZR_Sactargets

The carrier was the Yorktown. After the battle in the Coral Sea, she had two days in the Pearl Harbor drydock to turn around all the bomb damage sustained, and then scoot NW to Midway. And yes, there were civilians aboard during the battle and when she was redamaged, and had to be abandoned at Midway.
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Thanks for the info Ricktk! :)
GZR_SACTARGETS
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

ricktk wrote:Especially since it frees up manpower and hopefully money also.
Does away with...
ricktk wrote: Civilian manned tankers could easily do many tanker duties, not in a combat zone.
VR-51 operates along with probalby some of the other VR's in combat zones, with their civilian maintainers... The new P-8's will definatly be operating in combat zones as well.
KMTC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by KMTC »

I know the Army uses civilians overseas for vehicle maintenance, including people from host nations. It provides really cheap labor while freeing up soldiers.
Matt